Potterton Netaheat 16-10 Earthing Plate

Since we moved into this house 6 months ago our boiler has failed 3 times. On each occasion the problem is a corroded earthing plate in the igition system. This is the part that the spark jumps to to light the pilot.

On each occasion the fitter refuses to believe that the part was replaced on the last occasion, its in such a bad state. I rang the tech advice at Potterton and they say we should check the polarity. Fitter did that and says its OK.

The parts supplier the fitter used says the new replacement parts do not have a long lifetime - but 3 months?

Anybody got any ideas?

Reply to
Michael Burrows

The Neataheat was fine boiler for its day, when it came out 30 years ago. It is long past its sell by date. Modern condensing boilers are far more efficient, I would consider getting one of these fitted, otherwise you will have large bills nickel and diming the Neataheat to keep it going. You gas bills will drop approx 30% if installing a new condenser.

Reply to
IMM

Not a very constructive answer in the short term, though.

'The earthing plate corrodes' ... 'get a new boiler'.

We have a Netaheat and it has not failed since we moved here ten years ago. Clearly our earthing plate is fine!

Reply to
Bob Eager

If DIYing you can get a condesning boier ina days ot so and fit it in. Very short term.

Yes. The best thing as he has had three and will continue to replace expensive parts on this boiler. Just not worth it, time for the scapheap.

Wait until it start to play up and the bills roll in.

Reply to
IMM

It might be there is a small leak from the exchnager which is dripping onto this plate causing the corrosion. I know of many Netaheat installations and they are not chomping though earthing plates.

Also it might be that it is getting unduly heated by a misplaced flame (eg. crud or dmamge to pilot or main burner nearby.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

This is a very rare occurence. I'd look for other causes rather than something electric like reversed polarity!. The netaheat is a fine piece of kit and there are many still working. Apart from the fortunately rare circumstance of explosion due to defective white rodgers vales,they are a damn fine boiler.

joe

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

Thanks for all your help.

The pilot flame plays on the earthing plate: is this right?

Reply to
Michael Burrows