Postponement to part L (condensing boilers)?

If you never sell your house then it might never be known if you did not comply with building control and get the installation registered. Compliance with the new legal requirements to have a condensing boiler will be best enforced by house buyers who will require certificates. It may be that your plumber has no problem supplying and fitting a non condenser because he won't have any comeback in the future. You may though.

Reply to
.

Presumably only if someone has good reason to believe it was fitted after 1 April 2005; if Joe sells his house in (say) 2007 and claims, if challenged, that the boiler was fitted in 2004 (he can't remember the plumber, it was someone out of yellow pages), who's going to be able to prove otherwise? Is Joe's buyer really going to pull out of a sale because there's no proof of the installation date?

David

Reply to
Lobster

In article , Paul Giverin writes

Yeah, why would you want to save a third on your heating costs . . . .

Reply to
fred

In article , Lobster writes

That Date of Manufacture: W13/2005 label can be a bit of a give-away ;-)

Reply to
fred

In message , fred writes

Why would I want a boiler which costs a third more to purchase and which may not last as long and cost more to keep in good repair . . . .

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Assuming it's still present...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

You probably wouldn't if the second two points were really the case as opposed to an old wive's tale. With respect to the first, saving in energy costs over the boiler lifetime will compensate the purchase cost.

Reply to
Andy Hall

In article , Paul Giverin writes

Each to their own but I do think a lot of installers' opinions are well out of date. I think your third more to buy is a bit out, but then my third saving on heating costs was over the odd too, surprised you didn't notice :-).

The Worcester is certainly very simple and pretty efficient for a non condenser so good luck. I've used and looked after a plain 28i combi in another house and the cold surge when wanting to top up hot water at the kitchen sink is a PITA so I hope you are not disappointed going from stored hot water to combi, again good luck.

Reply to
fred

How much does the calculation allow for servicing costs?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

In message , fred writes

But as we all know, 78.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot ;)

Thanks. I know that the combi will lack the performance of my current system but the other benefits are greater. The current airing cupboard which houses the HWC will be converted to a downstairs loo. This will leave me free to then knock the separate upstairs bathroom and toilet into a larger bathroom. I'll also be able to reclaim about 2 square metres in my lounge by removing the gas fire (very rarely used), back boiler and the cosmetic chimney breast which encloses it.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

In message , fred wrote

Will it always be a third, and at what extra cost for installation and servicing?

Some modern boilers that don't meet with the new legislation may be only a few percent less efficient than condensing boilers.

A new condensing boiler would have to be around 100% efficient to be 30% better than my 15 year old 'fuel saver' boiler (based on the figures in the installers instructions which gives typical, and not maximum, fuel efficiency)

I bet some of the figures quoted for condensing boilers relate to the perfect installation and usage which will not be achieved in most cases.

Given that condensing boilers are more expensive and require more servicing the new boiler may be scrapped before it can pay for itself in cheaper gas bills.

The argument for cost saving is something akin to the current advertising for car insurance. If all the companies could actually save me £200 to £300 on my car insurance they would be paying me for taking up their policies. The 30% figure for fuel saving with a new gas boiler is possibly based on boilers that only a small percentage of the population still own and not for boilers that have been installed in the last 10 years or more.

Reply to
Alan

High flowrate combi's are available.

A secondary circulation loop, giving instant hot water at the taps, can be fitted on a combi.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

He probably doesn't know how to fit them, or buys crap models.

He is breaking the law.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Which mean he was making it up or going on rumour. The form on the ODPM is still relevant and the one to go by, not rumour.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

There will always be servicing costs.

In terms of product content, there is not a great deal of difference between recent non-condensing designs with fanned flue and electronic controls and condensing designs - the main thing being the condensate collection and disposal.

Therefore if one were comparing apples with apples, there should be very little difference.

However, if one is factoring older and simpler non-condensing designs, the component content and spares cost may well be less than with modern designs.

The perception of higher maintenance costs with condensing boilers predominantly comes from poor quality first generation UK manufactured products.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Installation? just a plastic pipe extra. Service costs? No different. In fact most condensers should be cheaper as the heat-exchanger don't required cleaning.

The best non condensing boiler is 79-80%. The worst condensing is 86%, with most around 90% now.

Andy Hall is getting around 30% and he had a Fuel Saver.

No. See SEDBUK.com

Not much more.

They require no more servicing in fact less. You must stop making things up.

Any figures to prove this wild claim?

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

In article , Alan writes

I refer my learned friend to my reply of Mon, 02 May 2005 17:17:56 GMT in which I confessed that I was talking bollocks :-). I recalc'd and guess that the OP's Worcester would use about 14% gas more than my Keston, all other things being equal.

Reply to
fred

Oh dear. One who criticises me for saying a basic RS non condensing boiler can do ten years or so without heat exchanger cleaning now changes his tune - when it suits him.

Do the makers recommend this?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And in 5 years they will only be permitted for cooking use? Guess we better buy one now and fit it before f****it Prescott and his friends make it illegal.