possible high winds...

Some of the pundits on a weathersite my wife hangs out on are mumbling in their beards about possible winds up to category three hurricane status that might hit the UK about the end of the month.

Obviously it is highly speculative, but its worth a general hint to check anything loose that could blow around and cause damage - batten down your harrys, so to speak.

certainly the jetsream prtojections show a lot of warm and cold air and fast winds mixing over the UK in that timeframe, so the potential for severe storms exists.

I A Not A Weather Pundit, so this comes attached to multiple disclaimers, but it is good practice to get the oustide stuff in, and fix that loose slate anway. Now.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Tuesday 22 October 2013 15:53 The Natural Philosopher wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Lets see how the new fence with slotted concrete posts holds out...

I think the old shed roof is a gonner though - it's half off now!

Reply to
Tim Watts

That's 111 - 130 mph *sustained*.

Complete and utter bullshit IMHO.

There might be gale (40 mph sustained) or even a storm (55 mph sustained) but not Category 3. Trouble is the media always quote gusts, which are generally 10 to 15 mph higher than the sustained wind speed.

Most places don't see even 40 mph sustained wind speeds. The average garden would look as if it had been attacked by a flail hedge trimmer if they did.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

All of that said, having survived the '87 hurricane, the devastation is truly incredible.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I did say that it came with disclaimers.

Thats the scuttlebutt on the websites tho.

I tend to agree. Although 80mph+ gusts mightbe on the cards.

they are what does te damage by and large,.

Indeed, after 1987, they did...

Look dont shoot the messenger.

This sems to have fgot some excited enough to talk about a 'possible one in 300 year storm' so its worth keeping an eye on.

It will certainly be wet and windy. The juries well out on the numbers that's all.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Would you be liable if it hits someone?

Reply to
GB

On Tuesday 22 October 2013 17:21 GB wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Felt...

Which will come off in small strips I expect...

The roof wood is fine. That's not going anywhere...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I am not sure how I would feel if I was hit in the face by a piece of roofing felt doing 50 miles an hour, but I agree that it is not as bad as bits of the wooden roof.

Reply to
GB

On Tuesday 22 October 2013 17:35 GB wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I doubt that will happen - it will be on the ground IME before it gets anywhere near people. It's also sheltered on one side by the house which limits its options.

It would have to travel 50 feet before it will get to the highway - and if the wind is that bad, it would take off any shed felt, new or not, except one built by a few notable people on here!

Dude - I said that partly in jest - if there was any real risk, I would have dealt with it - but I'm not stripping my shed just in case!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Can you say what weather website this is at all?...

Reply to
tony sayer

I've been watching these multiple lows in the Atlantic split and combine for some days now, but ATM they don't seem to making any progress towards us. ISTR there are alerts in the US about hurricane Raymond though.

Anyways, if this hits, we'll certainly get a storm, so I'm not going to do a Michael Fish ...

Java Jive

Until you wrote that you could have blamed it on climate change.

Reply to
alan

Perhaps we could get Boris the Mayor to stand on a high hilltop on that day. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If my asbestos garage blew apart by accident that night, would I still have to clear up the mess at my expense if it broke a few neighbours greenhouses?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

There's a house with a *huge* extension part built by the seaside near me. Timber kit all in place but no windows. The silver paper on the walls and the roofing felt is already beginning to shred. Should be interesting to see how it fares!

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

On Tuesday 22 October 2013 18:34 Brian Gaff wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Your house insurance (buildings) would probably cover it *and* damage to 3rd party property.

But it might be a good time to check the policy...

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Tuesday 22 October 2013 18:32 Brian Gaff wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Tony B Liar. His "Dumbo" ears should work quite well..

Reply to
Tim Watts

It is impossible to predict accurately the weather for a week hence.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

not in broad terms

You can see the weather patterns coming in on te jetstream and know its likley to be windy or not.

Accurate, no, out by a day, ceratinly, but something is on the way.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

hence.

"Something" is always on the way, having an idea what that "something" is is the hard bit. B-)

The chart for 1200 SUN 27th has an interesting low pressure area but it's not storm size, gale size probably. I'd guesstimate it deeping a bit and being the first real winter gale, possibly storm, for Western Scotland.

But at that far into the future it might not develop at all or take a completely different track...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice