Pole/post information please

To play devils advocate, how do you know? Have you dug them up?

Longevity depends very much on ground conditions and timber involved. Untreated Chestnut fencing 'spiles' driven into our rather wet field (flood plane) seem to last about ten years from what I can tell.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

mmm ITYM they haven't failed - yet....

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Buried can last thousands of years, see the bit's tree in peat bogs etc. B-)

It's the narrow band in the transition between ground and air that is the problem. Oak may well do better than other timbers.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Still not got the hang of quoting have you?

Agree about the English though. A combination of typos and auto-correct totally screwed up that sentence. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

but have you read the whole thread yet?

mmm reading things doesn't seem to be your strong suit ;>)

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

But at least you've learned to quote now. :-p

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

though nothing to do with your efforts - I'm on the desktop m/c not a "smartphone" now.

Back OnT - would you like a link to a galvanised spike post base?

or are you just hanging around trying to recover your injured pride? :>P

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Not that smart a phone then. Newstap on my iphone allows quoting.

Not really. If you say that they exist I'm sure you're right. All the Metposts I've seen in DIY shed haven't been galvanised.

Not really. I was just trying to make the point (badly admittedly) that a fixed post in one position isn't always a good idea for a bird feeder if you have a lawn below it or other bit of garden that you care about.

An easly moveable post has some advantages.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Not really necessary, as it would be obvious at ground level were there any problems.

I had to raise that part of the garden, to avoid having to wade through it each winter.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Thanks for the replies. I have now obtained a 3"x3" 10' softwood post tanalised. I purchased it from a timber merchant for £6.50, on enquiring about Oak the same size was £50. As I am in my 70s I reckon the softwood is the better bargain for me!

Reply to
Broadback