Plunger advice

Well both Onions and sink plungers can reduce one to tears very easily. Do daleks cry? Build yourself a Dalek I recall needed one sink plunger. brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Parcel tape does not seem to stick well enough. I tried this first. My best success so far was with one of those flexi plastic milk bottle caps you used to be able to get at hardware stores for a few pence. Pressed over the area assuming it is quite small, made the plunger work well, but you needed a person just to concentrate on holding the cap while you used two hands on the plunger.

I also have a trap on the sink I cannot undo, its one of those plastic ones that is a screw fitted whole bottom of the trap sized. It will I feel break if I put a strap wrench around it to attempt removal. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Maybe the onions are in the stuff they fire at people?

Reply to
Uncle Peter

My parcel tape must be better quality then. Trouble is it's almost impossible to remove it afterwards.

If I try to remove the one on my bath I'll probably break something, like my finger or wrist.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

It does not have to stick well with my method as the suction holds it there. I have tried all methods until I came up with this one. I have done a stint for a while as handyman for an estate agent so have had some practice.

Reply to
F Murtz

I hold a sponge or rag fully soaked in water over the overflow. The water seals the gap but can't flow as fast as the blockage does when the plunger is plunged. Also I agree that far more gunge comes out on the suck cycle than the blow.

Reply to
Dave W

I've now cleared it (to a reasonable extent, enough to get a small vortex at the plughole and it only takes a few minutes for a whole bath to empty, probably half as fast as a decent new bath). Thanks for everyone's help. I used a tit shaped plunger (1 quid from Asda) and pulled with a sharp suck action not blow, with my hand over the overflow. This after 3 kettles of boiling water (Bod's idea). I didn't see any gunge, but something must have come loose and washed away down the drain.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

If you won't change to using a liquid soap then can I suggest a final rinse of the bath with washing up liquid. It may stop the soap scum from solidifying.

Reply to
DerbyBorn