Plunger advice

Which of these is better?

Uncle Peter

What relevance is the ASDA Brown Onions (often bought together)?

Reply to
alan

Maybe it's having a laugh. I get: "Mr Muscle 2 in 1 Drain Unblocker" "Mr Muscle Kitchen & Bathroom..." "Jeyes Fluid Drain Unblocker"

Although if I use IE instead of Opera, I get: "ASDA Scrub Brush" "ASDA Squeegee Cleaner" "ASDA Flexi Baskets"

It's probably random from a big list. I guess some people buy onions and drain plungers together. I can't think why.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

"Uncle Peter" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@red.lan:

cmpid=ahc-

You shouldn't really need either. Do your drains need a bit of maintainance and cleaning? If you use a plunger make sure to seal the overflow with your hand otherwise it won't be effective.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

It's an old cast iron bath, with a u-bend encased in metal which is impossible to remove, especially where it's situated in the bathroom. I have tried a curtain wire rod pushed down the drain (can't get anything wider through the drain six-hole thingy), and Mr Muscle drain foam, and also sucking it with a wet and dry vacuum. When the bath is full, it drains at a reasonable speed, but once the bath is half full, there isn't enough pressure and it slows down. The last few inches can take half an hour.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

I've only tried the first type. It's never failed me yet, though there is quite a knack.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

We have one of the rubber bra-cup plunger things. It's not very effective, even with the overflow sealed as Derbyborn suggests. Our bathroom hand basin was becoming very sluggish, so eventually I resorted to a whole bottle of Buster bathroom plughole unblocker, leaving it to soak overnight. Worked a treat; never known the hand basin empty so fast.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I've already use Mr Muscle to no avail (maybe I should have left it overnight? I just followed the instructions). Trouble is, I'm getting the same number of recommendations for the cup shape as the tube one....

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Well, I have the first type and would love to know the knack.

I used to have something like the second one until the rubber perished. One hand to plunge, one hand to block the overflow.

The ebay one needs one hand to hold the body, one hand to plunge and a third hand to block the overflow.

Reply to
Bill

Overflow can be blocked easily with tape or a 2nd person's hand. I just want to know which plunger is most likely to shift the blockage. What gives a bigger pressure? I've tried chemicals before with no success and can't be bothered wasting money on any more of them.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

The effects of too many over-enthusiastic curries?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

One like this

They work like rubber suckers, you push and the contents squeeze out of the sides, then you pull and it sucks the stuff up from the drain.

You end up with a sink full of gunge which you then remove.

The force ones just push the blockage further down the pipe and it may then stick worse.

Reply to
dennis

I've never understood the desire to put that stuff in your mouth. I prefer food.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Thanks, I think I'll go with the tit shaped one as you suggest.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

I have something similar - it is plastic with bellows moulded into it.

Block up the overflow (I use a wet flannel).

Put about 3 inches of water in the sink or bath.

Fill the plunger with water.

Whip the plug out, jam the plunger over the drain hole and pump like mad.

Repeat as necessary (refill sink/bath/plunger as required)

Reply to
Bob Eager

My knack is:

No need to block up the overflow, it's a shower tray. Leave the shower running so that there is an inch or more in the tray. Extend the plunger handle, turn it upside down, fill it from bath tap. Run to the shower to minimise losses. Place one finger over plunger outlet, turn the right way up, quickly place over drain. Push down hard and fully to dislodge the blockage. Pump like mad for further clearing. Repeat as necessary. Inspect the ceiling below in case I've pushed a joint apart. :-)

Reply to
Mike Barnes

And if the waste pipe uses push fit connectors the pressure/blockage will pop the connectors.

Reply to
alan

In message , Mike Barnes writes

Ah. So here it's a bath and the plug chain hangs from the centre of the decorative perforated overflow cover.

I still prefer the rubber sucker type plunger.

Here, the problem usually involves large quantities of hair, and I also use a pipe thing from Aldi that attaches to the shower and an opened out wire clothes hanger formed into a hook at the end just small enough to fit through the tiny plug holes.

Reply to
Bill

And finally - stop using soap. It binds hair and scum together. Use a liquid wash or shower gel. I like the Sanex range of bath and shower washes.No significant scent and very effective. I never "have" to clean the bath as there is no scum.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Uncle Peter put finger to keyboard:

Don't mince about with that rubbish, get some acid down there.

Scion