Plastering Advice...

Hi All

I am about to plaster a small utility room, and was looking for some advice on what plaster and number of coats to use.

The base is plasterboard, which was previously covered in woodchip wallpaper. I have removed this but it has left the plasterboard in a less than perfect condition (scratches, nicks, stubborn wallpaper fragments etc) My current thinking is to use 2 coats of multi-finish, with the first being applied slightly thicker than normal.

Will this be sufficient, or would I be better of with a base coat of bonding/browning first ?

All of the screwholes have been pollyfilla'd - I assume I need to seal these with PVA mix first ?

Thanks

Matt

Reply to
matt.trinder

Two coats of multi-finish should be fine - I wouldn't bother with anything underneath.

I'd probably pva the whole lot - especially if there are still bits of paper stuck on. It will help to stick them down and prevent them from getting on your trowel and causing tracks in your skim. Also, if you've damaged the paper on the plasterboard while stripping the wallpaper it will help seal them.

Reply to
Richard Conway

Thanks Richard

Nice to think I was on the right track...!

Reply to
matt.trinder

Its not the planning that's the hard bit ;)

Reply to
Richard Conway

I'd go along with all the above, except that I'd have thought that a single coat of multifinish should really be all you need.

Mind you, if your plastering skill's as good as mine.....! :-)

David

Reply to
Lobster

I usually go into the job anticipating two and then if it looks good after the first I leave it a bit and then polish up.

I also find it pretty hard to get a really good finish on plasterboard, but pretty easy when applying a second coat to a still tacky first coat.

Reply to
Richard Conway

Barsteward when someone just wallpapers over plasterboard innit. ;-(

If you have the ability to lay it on thick,this is all you need.

Don't forget the scrim and make sure the room is cool.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I'd use 2 coats of PVA. The first allowed to dry to seal the lose bits of stuff then the plaster is applied to the 2nd PVA coat while its still tacky.

Reply to
marble