Plasterboarding a ceiling - question

I'm about to plasterboard over an old ceiling and just want a bit of feedback on whether it's really necessary to cut all the boards so that their edges are on a joist.

It's a fairly solid old house and the joists are approx 12 inch apart.

Ta.

Reply to
R D S

with taper edge boards, mesh tape and joint cement, it could work, but at 12" joists you won't have much to cut off the few boards that don't need cutting anyway - will you??

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

I'm not worried about the waste, just reckon uncut board might make for a tidier job.

Plus I really can't be arsed doing it so any short cuts will be a real bonus.

Reply to
R D S

erm.. when it's skimmed you won;t see joints anyway!

NB1 it's trivial to cut with a stanley and straight edge..

NB2 tapered edges only on long sides of boards plus I've never used other than 8X4s....

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

I wasn't going to bother....

Reply to
R D S

mmmm nice ;>)

be sure to report back how it goes

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Not skimming isnt hard to make work, but boards joined in mid air lead to joint failures, and you'll end up cursing whoever did it.

NT

Reply to
NT

In article , R D S writes

The alternative is to batten out the ceiling with thin, wide battens, something like 18x48 or 18x70. If you've got high ceilings (old house) then the extra 18mm lost is nothing and having a batten at every joint means there's no risk of cracking.

As you're not skimming, try to keep the end joints in inconspicuous positions as they're not tapered and you'll have to tape them then fill over with a gentle rise to cover the tape.

Reply to
fred