Planting Trees for Carbon Offset (2023 Update)

I wonder how the impact of walking back and forth to plug in / unplug the charger stacks up against the impact of just leaving it plugged in all the time?

Reply to
Jules

... and by then there'll be a new bandwagon to jump on and everyone can once again feel safe and secure in the knowledge that they're Doing Something. Ho hum.

Reply to
Jules

erm..

impact on what, exactly?

Reply to
Hawi:

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."

- HL Mencken

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I just tend to leave it around, yes

No, not really, I

But you are totally missing the point (or rather several)

I only just caught it on the news today, and don't know who was saying it, but they said we need to actively suck CO2 out of the atmosphere to mitigate global warming

This means ...

creating CO2 now and planting a couple of trees or whatever other scam is on the books to compensate in 10 or 20 years just isn't a viable solution. It DOES give people an excuse to not change

Lets face it, we, in the UK account for some 2% of all emissions, whatever we and the rest of the world pales into insignificance when put against USA, India and China

This means that, whatever we do, with whatever good intent, is really just a drop in the ocean without the above countries making significant changes

Reply to
geoff

No, its your fault for underestimating the number of zeros you need after the decimal point

Infinitesimal in this case is as good as zero

Do you really think that you are talking to people here who don't have a clue about CO2 and global warming?

Perhaps you should do a GG search and check out previous discussions here, since you do seem to be that idea short of a clue

Reply to
geoff

In message , "Hawi:" writes

IWHT he means the otherwise useful oxygen that you converted into CO2 by your increased metabolic rate

Reply to
geoff

I wonder if the obesity epedemic is helping. All those fat people are really carbon storage facilities, so you see the USA is doing its bit.

mark

Reply to
mark

Great attitude. And you are now totally missing the point. I was talking about awareness of the problem. Without that awareness the problem will not be addressed. Your stance that what each of do is not significant enough to be bothered doing in the first place, is madness. Are you waiting for politicians to force the changes required?

Reply to
Hawi:

Ahhh, I see. It was a joke!

Reply to
Hawi:

Although my point is made, - as long as there's a 1 at the end.

An oxymoron as a statement of truth. Interesting.

Not at all. But you are obviously one of those without that clue.

And perhaps you should know that I've been in and around this group for over 10 years myself. I have not been involved in discussions of this sort here. And now I realise why. I'm involved in the transition movement, btw. Perhaps you'd like to wander over to

and be enlightened.

Enjoy the sand. I believe it's very comforting with your entire head submerged in it.

H.

Reply to
Hawi:

Actually, its not.

The way to reduce your carbon footprint is to use Tesco direct for junk food, never go out, just stay in watching TV and sticking junk in your arm.

The government encourages this.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Until you cremate them.

Mind you, a good source of alternative energy. Powerstation + crematorium.

Where's Eichmann when you need him?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , mark writes

What about the veggies - methane factories by any other name

Reply to
geoff

I don't think that there is a lack of awareness, just too many people that think that they can get away with paying someone else to do something on their behalf and not actually do anything

,,, and the eejits that think that it's actually going to help YTC

No its not, it's the reality of the situation - made worse by you thinking that you are actually making a difference

Not really happening, is it ?

Reply to
geoff

No, they're busy giving the green light to extra lanes on motorways and extra runways at airports, then blaming global warming on us lot for using tungsten bulbs.

mark

Reply to
mark

Not actually made any difference where it matters, though

I would say rather that you have your head up your arse

byee - you are a pointless person to discuss this with

Reply to
geoff

People have spent ages on this ng trying to factually establish the core green views, and none has ever managed it. The 'youre in denial' approach only demonstrates ignorance.

NT

Reply to
NT

And buy everything from China. Then we can complain about 'their' emissions.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

be enlightened.

Agreed, - if that's the only point being made. Here, it isn't. And denial from certain people appears to be quite prevelant. So it's no good denying that denial exists and it's no good pretending that denial isn't a crucial part of the problem.

Reply to
Hawi: