Piping water from a ditch

A ditch under the house (not mine) gets a small amount of water in it every time it rains. I want to put a 40mm plastic drain pipe in the ditch to drain the water. The ditch slopes slightly downhill, and into the basement where the water collects. I want to stop the water going past the end of the pipe, and to stop earth getting into the pipe. Any ideas? Perhaps I could poke the pipe through a hole in some kind of membrane.

Reply to
Matty F

I think you only need it to be rain-free for 24 hours or so; I just did some concrete work around our wood chute and it was solid when I took the forms off in less time than that. Of course it'll take much longer to fully cure, but I think it'll do so eventually - the critical bit's just not having it completely saturated by water during that first phase.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Reply to
Jim K

That sounds like the plan thanks. With the geotextile over the top I can cover the whole trench with soil. I never liked the idea of an open wet patch under the house.

Reply to
Matty F

aye a "land drain" in effect...make sure the geotextile (I've used black woven "weed control" stuff successfully) goes all around rather than just on top,else it will probly bung up quicker, pipe in lower half of rock.

Be careful too make your "collection zone" low enough for the slit pipe to function as you wnat it to - i.e. so there is no other "way out" for the water except your pipe...not through the stone layer underneath the pipe for example. Your concrete "dam" should do the job

- placed around the pipe in the ditch "holding back" the crushed rock wrapped in geotextile....

ASCII art section - viewed best in non-proportional font

//////// //////// ========= =rrrrrrr= =rrrrrrr= =rr(P)rr= =rrrrrrr= ========= SSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSS

//// soil ===== geotextile rrrr clean crushed rock P pipe SSSSS - subsoil (whatever's under the ditch)

another - at 90degrees /////////////// /////////////// =========CCCCCCC =rrrrrrr=CCCCCCC =rrrrrrr=CCCCCCC ddd=rrrPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP SSS=rrrrrrr=CCCCCCC SSS=========CCCCCCC SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

CCCC concrete ddd bottom of ditch

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Oh, and someone (not sure if it was here or elsewhere) suggested using plastic sheet over my wood forms rather than messing around with any kind of chemical release agent. I tried that and it worked like a charm - I had no trouble pulling the plastic-coated forms the following day (sharing because I was impressed with how well it worked!).

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Well I've basically finished the job. Here's the ditch with the wires coming out of it:

've dug a trench down a foot below the wiring and put a 40mm pipe in the trench. I put a synthetic sack over the end of the pipe and blocked the downhill side of the trench with clay. Next time it rains we'll see if it works. I don't see why it wouldn't. If it's OK I'll put some weed mat around the pipe and cover it with clay. I may decide to dig the trench deeper if necessary. I checked the levels with a laser, and there's a 6 inch drop over 10 feet of pipe.

Reply to
Matty F