pipe freezing

I want to remove a radiator so that I can strip and replace the wall paper behind it. Unfortunately, it looks as though the thermostatic valve won't shut right down, so rather than draining the radiator, I drain the system :-(

So, it looks as though I need to change the valve, and initial thoughts were to drain the system down before doing the job, but I was wondering how well the pipe freezing stuff works, could I use it to allow me to drain off the radiator, remove it, then replace the valve ?

TIA

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson

You need a decorator's cap for the TRV: you should have had one for each valve when they were installed, but if not you can sometimes get away with putting something like a coin between the head and the valve so that you can turn it off completely.

Reply to
john.stumbles

You can also use a G-clamp, with a bit of care...

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I think I prefer John's No More Tears formula, yours sounds a tad optimistic in view of the dismounting work that the o/p is planning.

Reply to
fred

'Stroo, you have to have a bit of care... however, it does work, you need a bit of hosepipe chopped off & opened up for a gasket.. I remember when I thought "Oh! It won't get cold for a few days!" and relied on the TRV completely... fortunately the floor slab in their '50s "solid brick house" allowed water to drain easily...!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The limiting factor is not the freezing kit - it works 100% effectively

- but rather your plumbing ability/reliability: the freezing kit will block the pipework for a matter of minutes during which time you need to remove the old valve and refit a replacement. If something goes wrong, eg the new valve doesn't fit for some reason, or you mess up the connection, then you don't have long before the dreaded black water starts coming through....

Have never had the guts to use one myself. Once watched a pro do it (successfully!) on a live water main, which I would find seriously scary!

David

Reply to
Lobster

I've only used one once on a mains supply and it worked a treat. Rather than a few mins, the water was off for a good 20 mins - we had to wait to fill the kettle!

Dave

Reply to
david lang

Unfortunately the C/H was installed ~1990 and the house has changed hands twice since then. I suspect the caps were thrown out at the first sale (owner died and anything not fastened down was cleared out). I'll try the plumbers merchants in the morning to see if I can get either a cap or a new valve with one, the valve is a Drayton, so I might be in with a chance. I suppose a spare valve might be useful.

Thanks for the other comments elsewhere in the thread.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson

Get the cap. I've just finished mopping up the water in the living room - the radiator's off in the bathroom and the TRV wasn't as turned off as it should have been.

Reply to
Huge

In article , Huge writes

No decorators cap, but I did get a pair of half inch black iron ones.

Following up on John Stumble's suggestion I looked at putting a coin in. Unfortunately, the hole is way too small, but I did get a bit of cardboard in, which did the job. Once the rad was off, I fitted the blanking caps to each valve, so if they do decide to leak, I don't get a soggy floor.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson

In article , Adrian Simpson writes

Reply to
fred

In article , fred writes

Cardboard - low tech solutions are often best. Least there be any confusion, it is between the thermostat and the plunger that presses on to the valve, it is firmly on the "dry" side.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson