Pipe "bangs" when dishwasher fill valve closes

There's a loud bang every time my dishwasher fill valve turns off - it's just a single loud bang (rather than the typical hammering from a dodgy tap jumper or ball valve) but the valve turns on/off quite a few times during a wash so it gets annoying and I worry about the possible effect on pipe joints. It's annoyed me for well over a year but now I've got the right tuit, the question is where to start: replace the valve, fit a restrictor, fit an anti-hammer widget, or ... ?

Reply to
no_spam

A fitted one of the anti-hammer devices (sioux chief from toolstation) immediately after the internal stopcock. Initially it made a lot of difference to "clangs" both from my washing machine and those coming from external supply pipe.

Now the occasional clang gets through again, don't know if that means e.g. some grit is starting to block the piston and it might become less and less effective over time?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Just over a year? Just over 37 years here!

I fitted a water hammer device and it doesn't work.

F wrote in news:MdidnR58tY6keH snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

I get it if I leave my hose pipe connected to the outside tap with the tap on and the valve at the far end turned off.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Plastic pipe is much worse for this

Anti-hammer kit should work, IF it is fitted in the right place

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher