B) Some remote chance that some serious damage has already occurred.
Then there are the warranty implications.
If the vehicle was >3 years I'd go for the gamble and diy it, but it ain't.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
Aiden wrote:

A bucket! This is a full tank of diesel contaminated Petrol.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
Thanks to everyone who replied. Particular thanks to Andy Dingley, Dave Plowman and The Natural Philosopher. I am absolutely sure that it helped when I rang the dealer and said "So I guess you'll be draining the fuel tank, replacing the filters, and bleed the fuel system from up front? Oh - and check the fuel pump when you check for any other (unlikely) damage would you?". There was an audible silence (!) on the phone when I said that - I think they might have tried it on otherwise.
The car is now back - and no major damage. The Natural P also got it spot on - the bill for parts was approximately 15 pounds. The bill for labour was approximately 960 pounds! Many will think we got what we deserved! We are currently exploring the "issues" with the insurance company.
I could offer many comments on other remarks in the thread - however I choose not to. I am just pleased that once again the advice I obtained here was genuinely useful - and I am simply awed by the presence of contributors who are clearly immune from human error.
--
Matthew Barnard

Blimey!
How many hours was that???
Darren

Well, London BMW dealers charge over 100 quid an hour, so I'd guess M-B is the same. Still seems a lot of labour, though - I'd have thought this such a common problem they'd have a way of just flushing it through - and a small amount of petrol left wouldn't matter.
--
*I started out with nothing... and I still have most of it.

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 10:08:06 +0100, Dave Plowman wrote:

'leeding 'ell. I'm in the wrong job!
*BUT* I bet the grease monkeys that actually *do* the work don't get anything like that, wouldn't be at all surprised if it was 10/hr or less.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 10:08:06 +0100, Dave Plowman wrote:

'leeding 'ell. I'm in the wrong job!
*BUT* I bet the grease monkeys that actually *do* the work don't get anything like that, wouldn't be at all surprised if it was 10/hr or less.
Yup, probably true.
They're mostly run on bonus schemes - finish jobs under the ticketed time and there's bonus in it. The problem for the poor punter is that just about all jobs have an allotted time - for instance new alternator could be down as 1 hour. If they go significantly over you'll bet that they will chase you for extra labour, but if it only takes them 10 mins you can be sure that you won't see a reduction in your bill.
My brother used to be a Renault technician - he was earning relatively well for the location (York) and his age. Does hell of a lot better rescuing folks with crippled Land Rovers, Jags and the like now, though.
cheers Richard -- Richard Sampson
On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 20:23:21 +0100, Ed Sirett
Lots of military vehicle collectors (those with multifuel engines) use petrol/diesel mix from the RAC or AA, after they've drained it from this sort of mis-filled tank. You can't burn it as heating oil (petrol is too flammable), you can't run a sensible engine on it, and it's an expensive disposal problem otherwise. -- Smert' spamionam
On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 23:27:57 +0100, Andy Dingley

We keep a container for this type of thing and use it to start bonfires. If it is s little high on dirty petrol then it is leavened with heating oil.
Paul Mc Cann

Might be cheaper to get a new wife.

A common mistake. When one gets a new wife, the old one becomes more of a drain.
Hellraiser...........>
Hello Jack

wifetrader.co.uk /ought/ to exist, if it doesn't already.
--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK