Petrol can washers

Some rubbers will be degraded by petrol. Nitrile rubber should be fine, or you could look for a polyurethane washer.

Reply to
Nightjar

I bought a 5 litre plastic can at a petrol station shop so I can get unleaded for the lawn mower. Now it turns out when I come to use it that there ought to be a (rubber?) washer for the screw-on spout to stop it leaking fuel onto the ground when I fill up the mower tank. Only there isn't.

Do I need to look for a particular type of washer for this or will any rubber washer that fits do the job?

Reply to
Tim Streater

I found that pouring petrol into my lawn mower was easier without the spout.

Reply to
alan_m

Is there is face within the spout on which a rubber washer could sit? My plastic spout doesn't have a washer, and seems to seal adequately just by doing up the thread fairly tightly.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Take it back as "not fit for purpose", refund if they don't have one with the relevant washer.

Real rubber rubber doesn't like petrol but wether you'd find a real rubber washer these days is debateable. If you can't get a suitable sized washer a bit of thick card might work.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes, I think so - I'll have to check. It leaked a bit when I used it so I tightened it up quite forcibly but there was still a trickle. I need to compare with the other can I've got. Hmm, come to think of it, there's another can that's lost its spout. Perhaps I could steal a washer from that.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Ditto. Pretty sure my can never had a washer for the spout anyway.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I have two spouts, neither has washers and they do leak a bit.

Reply to
harryagain

You can make your own washer. Put some clingfilm over the filling spout & threads on the petrol can. (Acts as release agent) Put silicon on the seat of the filling spout. Screw together (not too tightly) and leave set for a few days, (leave somewhere warm)

Reply to
harryagain

I had exactly the same problem - posted on here about a couple of years ago. Some washers from an Aldidl kit were the correct size but shrivelled - used

3 or 4 a year. Just got some of this and cut a washer, but too soon to know how it's doing:
Just keep it away from some other common solvents. White spirit is one, IIRC. I got a sheet of the 2mm thick. £10 seems a lot but is enough for about 25 washers. This means, of course, that a washer will last forever!
Reply to
PeterC

You can probably find a suitable viton washer from your local real hardware store or back street garage. It needs to be something that will resist petrol. Failing that a right size fibre washer wrapped in PTFE tape would probably make a decent seal.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Easy.

Reply to
ARW

White spirit is just a hydrocarbon blend, like petrol and diesel. Viton will laugh at white spirit. But it doesn't like Acetone and MEK.

Reply to
newshound

In the end I used a washer from the cap of a can that's lost its spout. Used today, seems to work fine except that the washer does't stay on the spout.

The spout has a bit that fits into the can, and a threaded lid that goes over it to screw it to the can. The first of these two bits has a flange where the washer sits nicely - but the threaded part simply pushes it off the flange. That's not a problem if I'm careful and make sure the washer doesn't end up on the floor.

Interestingly, when I filled up yesterday, I had a look at other cans they're selling, all the same as my new one. None of them had a washer. I may have a word next time I'm there, course I've no longer got the receipt.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I think you'll find that there all like that. There never was a washer to get "lost".

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

The nozzle on mine has a slightly tapered end which fits snugly in the neck of the petrol "can". The threaded collar forces the taper deeper into the neck of the can. The seal isn't perfect, but "good enough" for most purposes.

All my containers have a similar taper.

$prod$

Got any pictures of your can?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Where?

Which in the hands of the Great Unwashed doesn't sound very safe. As a lad having used a dessert spoonfull of petrol as a "camp fire accellerant" I have a very cautious approach to petrol. I did keep my eyebrows, just and I have a vivid memory of the whole fire leaping 6" into the air and falling back as the petrol when WHOOMPFFF...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Mine looks identical to that. Trouble is, with mine the tapered end fits loosely in the neck of the can, not snugly. But with a washer at the end of the taper, it's OK now.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I take it you mean 6' and not 6" ?? :-)

Then there's the apocryphal story of the rugby player pouring a beer mug of petrol on the barbie to "get it going".

Being careful with petrol is what kids need to be taught.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Many silicone sealants will swell in the presence of petrol. All you end up with is a slimy squidgy ring of silicone maybe 150% the the diameter you originally wanted.

Reply to
The Other Mike