Petrol can washers

Perhaps I've been lucky. But some years ago I replaced a split O-ring with silicone in a carburettor, and it continued to work for many months before it was sold.

I just assumed most silicone rubbers/sealants could cope with petrol.

Reply to
Fredxxx

It could be to do with the formulation of modern fuel, but this (randomly picked) technical datasheet says not for use with 'gasoline'

This one (again randomly picked) mentions nothing about resistance to fuels, just oil, water and antifreeze

When I first came across this issue in the mid 1990's the product would have been something in a bulk tube from an industrial supplier, manufactured by the likes of Devcon, Permatex or Loctite and was perfectly suited for forming or using on gaskets on engines and gearboxes so not B&Q bathroom sealant or similar!

I'd never had cause to use silicone sealant in the presence of petrol before then, the fuel would have been EU spec unleaded, maybe four star leaded would have been ok?

Reply to
The Other Mike