Part P - Is 2006 Version the Latest?

Hi all

I am on the point of getting the BCO to come and look at my first fix. There seem to be so many spurious links thrown up by Google, I am struggling to confirm whether the 2006 Edition which I have is the latest or whether there have been any amendments - anyone know chapter and verse on this please?

Because the building works associated and some cable routes were established back in 2006, I am hoping to avoid the 17th Edition (RCD) requirements on these circuits. I am also hoping that the BCO will accept a steel strip - not yet sourced/fitted - covering my chased-and-in-conduit oven feed will satisfy as mechanical protection!

Finally I am pinning some hope on Clause 1.26 (hence my interest in finding any amendments etc.) as this gives some leverage toward not paying for inspection and testing.

Thanks for your comments

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

i believe (but i may be wrong) that only from 1st april 2010 could councils charge extra for inspecting electrics when you've put in a building notice.

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

Yup 2006 is the latest. Copies of all the approved docs here:

John Rumm

For the hassle of arguing about some circuits and adding mechanical protection to others, I think I'd add an extra RCD instead and keep the inspector quiet.

They can - but thankfully many still don't.

They're unlikely to do the inspection themselves (they won't have anyone qualified) - they'll pay an electrician to visit you.

Cheers, David.

Reply to
David Robinson

Herefordshire will be charging, I put my Building Notice for wiring in on the last day of March, the nice man there told me it would cost them more to pay for the electrican to test it than the cost of the Building Notice!

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

"george [dicegeorge]" wrote

Have you tried referring them back to Part P clause 1.26 to see what their reaction is?

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Their reaction may be that the requirement known as Part P reads as follows; "Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury".

The bit you've quoted is from Approved Document P, which is guidance, not legislation (and in any case was slipped into a later edition of AD P without proper consultation, possibly rendering it illegal under EU legislation).

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

We know that, but not all the BCOs seem to. So its worth hitting them with it anyway to see what gives ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm