Part P inspection results

If you saw my previous thread "What do they inspect on Part P?" you'll know that my house has just had first fix electrics completed and was awaiting inspection by a local firm of electricians on behalf of the council BCO.

Well, they (2 men) duly arrived at 9.00am this morning and spent no more than 10 minutes on site - and that included 5 minutes general chit-chat with me. The relevant bits went something like:

"So, what are we testing then?"

"Well, I don't know, I'm not an electrician. I can tell you that the whole house is being rewired and I was told by the BCO that you would need to see it at first fix. I can only get the chases plastered up and move on to second fix after you've inspected and signed off on it at first fix."

"Oh, 'cos we were told it was a full inspection and test. See, we can't do any electrical testing because there's nothing on the ends of the cables."

They then went on to do a *very* cursory glance into each room and ended by filling in a form which said, "Seen at first fix. Will come back to do full test and inspection when completed" and off they went.

Perhaps the most interesting, nay, alarming thing was that they were under the impression that it was a full test and inspection but their boss had asked them to "fit it in" as the first job of the day because the house is close to their starting point. It seems that they expected to be on site for an hour, maybe an hour and a half, for a full test and inspection.

The words "money" "old" and "rope" now come to mind when I think of Part P :o(

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Sharp

Dave Sharp wrote: [snip]

But you said...

"I'm just grateful I put in the application when I did and got it for £59.99"

And if there coming back to finalise the inspection without further cost, then fine. It would have cost you more getting a qualified electrician in.

Reply to
ben

I meant in general. Part P is just a tax on the people who stick by the rules. If you're a dodgy cowboy, you're not going to be bothered by Part (taking the) P anyway are you?

I don't know how you work that out. A qualified sparky gave me an estimate for the work but could not start for 8 weeks so my builder said he would do it for the same price, less whatever the council BCO charged me to get Part P certificate, ergo builder / leccy = same price. He's a good worker and I've got every confidence that his electrical work is up to current regs and standards.

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Sharp