Panel heater wiring

Hi

I have a study/spare bedroom with a fitted desk and drawer units along an outside wall. The 'hole' at which I sit is a useful place for a panel heater - last winter I had a slimline floor standing one

it was borrowed, ugly, and leaked. This winter I'd like to instal something like

is I have no adjacent sockets. The De Longhi came with an ordinary moulded plug that went into an extension lead. All the Dimplex heaters seem to be intended for installation into a fused spur, and have a fourth (pilot) wire in the flex (and no plug). I have no intention of messing around with remote control, so the pilot would be redundant.

Will the world stop turning if I connect the Dimplex to a plug (750 watt model with, say, a 5 amp fuse) and use the same extension lead as last year? According to the instructions, the pilot wire can be live, so it'll need to be carefully insulated inside the plug. Is that a bodge too far?

Reply to
Roger Morton

Hold that.

Searching the Dimplex range of *commercial* heating I come across the PLX range, which looks very similar to the EPX range I found above - but no pilot wire.

But again - they seem to expect connection (of a 3-wire flex) to a fused spur. Presumably the idea of shoving a plug on it would be a bit more palatable than trying it on a 4-wire?

Reply to
Roger Morton