Painting expert required!

Hi

I am about to paint my kitchen, but have a potential issue before I start. On the wall above the kitchen units it has previously paint in gloss (I think) and I have managed to scrape half of it off (which came of in one lump) but the other half is well stuck on! I want to paint this area but not sure how to handle the transition between the area ive scraped off and the existing painted area.

Also what is the correct way to paint a ceiling? and walls?

Many Thanks

Alec

Reply to
alec green

I don't claim to be an 'expert', but I've done a fair bit in my time.

Use an orbital sander to feather the edge of the remaining paint, so that there's no 'step' to show when you paint over it.

I always use a roller with an extension handle (and wear a shower cap to keep spills out of my hair!)

Again, I use a roller. If the walls are a different colour from the ceiling, you have to be careful not to get wall paint on the ceiling and vice versa. I use a brush on both, for the last inch up to where they meet.

Reply to
Roger Mills

As the other poster said ... sand the paint down to smoothen the step, but sanding may not be enough, you are likely to need to use filler with a wide knife to fill as wide an area as you can from the gloss paint to the scraped surface.

Photos could help us understand what you are looking at.

What is the surface where you scrapped the gloss off? (Are you sure it was gloss and not silk?)

If you have filler or bare plaster you should mist coat it before you paint it.

You should wash and rinse!!! all painted areas with sugar soap.

==========================

Is the ceiling and the walls going to be a different colour. If yes, you paint the ceiling your one or two (or more coats) of paint. Does not matter if you overlap on the walls as long as you don't lay the paint thick on the walls.

Then you do the walls as the other poster suggested. If you get paint on the ceiling ... have a wet cloth and wipe as much as you can then let it dry. You touch up the ceiling if you get paint on it once it is dry and you have finished with the wall.

If you are uncertain in cutting the paint between wall and ceiling you might want to use something like this ... but remember to wipe it every time you lift it away from a painted area

|cat_14113577|Decorating+Equipment|14113580&c_2=2|cat_16849219|Decorating+Tools|14113577&c_1=1|category_root|Decorating|16849219CheersC.

Reply to
Charles

Either sandpaper to smooth the step, or filler + sander to remove excess filler.

I don't like rollers. I prefer a brush + ladder. I agree with other posters that it's best to do ceilings first.

Use expensive paint - you want lots of pigment so that you only need one or two coats.

Reply to
Martin Bonner