Painting a fascia board.

I want to paint the fascia board on my garage. It is obviously many years since it was painted white, long before my time, and there are rust-coloured patches where there are nails. What should I do to stop this rust coming through the new white gloss paint I intend to apply.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Alaric

Reply to
Alaric

I have always found it much easier to replace with new, than to prepare/repair for repainting, particularly in-place.

When you cut the new pieces, after temporarily fitting to check for size, you can take them down and prepare/finish them in the dry, refitting when finished.

Remember to let any new timber dry before choosing the pieces to use. If you buy it from one of the sheds, you'll need to buy about 3x what you need and choose the best 3rd a month later. Another option is plastic facia of course.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It would be cheaper at that rate to buy western red cedar and enjoy almost no wastage and a very long lived fascia (with or without paint).

What I did :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Either replace the whole lot and use stainless or brass screws when refixing or replace the rusty rubbish with stainless/brass.

I don't use anything but brass or stainless outside. Anything iron based just doesn't last unless hot dip galvanised and even then there is good HDG or bad...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Never tried it but how about knotting or stain block paint just on the rust patches, then undercoat and finish coat as usual?

Reply to
Davidm

Rust doesn't normally bleed through oil based paint

Reply to
stuart noble

Clean rust off .. could cover with a coat of knotting. Then primer

Reply to
Rick Hughes

+1 - but use an oil based primer than water based (and ditto for the other coats).

Obvious I know, but some confuse the two and then wonder why, after applying water based paints, the rust comes back - or the paint breaks down after a short time.

As for myself, I only used oil based paints externally - even though it takes longer to dry, it's far more durable and being tight-fisted, I like at least a 5 year recoat life out of the stuff.

Cash

Reply to
Cash