Paint sprayers

Daughter has wardrobe doors which are a fine lattice work - they are good in that they allow air in to a damp corner but they are a pig to paint.

When we first did them (varnished) they took us ages to get the paint into all the little holes! Now she wants the whole thing cream so I am thinking of getting a paint sprayer to apply acrylic primer and then the emulsion she is using on the walls.

Will paint sprayers handle acrylic primer OK? Do I need to water it down first?

Any thoughts?

Reply to
John

Spraying walls is an excellent idea in an empty warehouse. More trouble than it's worth in a house.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Dave Plowman (News) writes

I was going to take the doors off and spray them outside. I then thought I could use the same sprayer for water based fence preservatives.

Reply to
John

Should do - you can water it down a bit. The bookcase link I posted the other day, showed the result of spraying an acrylic quick drying varnish (over a had applied wood stain) - I added about 10% water before spraying.

IIUC, the HVLP sprayers can take a wider range of paint than the conventional high pressure ones.

I know someone who sprayed all his doors with regular gloss by heating it up in a pot, so that it went all runny, and spraying it hot!

Reply to
John Rumm

What was the end result of that John? Did it look OK? Is it viable?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Looked absolutely first rate...

He said he hates painting with a brush, so took all the doors off, laid them out on trestles in his garage, and sprayed them all at once.

(Might be worth pointing out this was someone who had his own car body repair shop - so he was a skilled sprayer with decent kit, but I suspect that it would not be too difficult to replicate).

Reply to
John Rumm

For the fence you are probably better off with a pump up sprayer - a rain of fine drops will get blown about less than the very finely atomised mist you get from a spray gun.

I tend to use a spray gun on the end of an airline in the garden, buts its only really viable on fairly calm days!

Reply to
John Rumm

Heating paint before application by brush or spray is an old well know method but what you must be aware of is that after the paint has been heated up some of the solvent evaporates and when it start to cool it becomes too thick to apply without having to use the appropriate thinners or a reheat.

You only have a limited amount of time before the paint starts to thicken as it cools which will make it very difficult to apply by any method.

There is a limit to how many times you can reheat paint or oil based varnish for that matter before it becomes treacle like, then you have to thin it in order to achieve the correct viscosity.

Having said that, applying paint without thinning is ideal because it won't interfere with the natural characteristics of the paint. Oil based paints generally perform better, last longer and are more durable if not thinned.

Stephen.

Reply to
stephen.hull