Oversize keyboards

Just a hint for anyone elderly with a computer, just picked up a Crayola Keyboard for my Mum, local store but seem to be around a tenner posted on Ebay.

Oversize colourful keys , Mum has a laptop but her typing is of the hunt, hunt some more and peck variety, she likes the colours and oversize keys seem to make the whole `computer ` concept more friendly somehow.

Access to function keys etc can get on laptops own `board.

CPC do a couple of high contrast keyboards buts standard size keys and about twice Crayola clearence cost.

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

I've never quite understood the fashion for laptops - unless you actually need to carry it around. They are very poor value compared to a desktop - and by nature have smaller screens and keyboards.

And despite trying a few modern soft touch keyboards, still prefer this clunky old mid '90s basic one which came with an Acorn, and is now shared with a PC via a KVM switch. Of course if you actually use all those special function keys on a Windows one, fine. But I can manage without.

Other thing is the common Logitech ones tend to wear out their lettering quickly. This one is still as good as new.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A lot of the cheap ones only have transfers on the key caps. SWMBO'd thumps through them some times in weeks. I'd like to track down a standard/small keyboard with engraved keycaps that doesn't cost an arm and leg.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Agreed. However I think its something to do with a laptop feeling more "personal" - its a self contained gadget rather than a collection of components. Often its "yours" rather than something shared with the family as would be more common for a desktop.

There was allot to be said for the original real IBM keyboards with steeply raked keys, proper clacky switches etc, and enough weight to break your foot if you dropped one!

Reply to
John Rumm

And proper engraved keys. The one I'm typing on is 19 years old and has been in daily use for all of that time. Large lead strips inside...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Also easy to take apart and clean if you spill coffee or worse on it. I have a spare to get the keys back in the correct positions...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I got one a bit over four years ago, and am now converted.

During the day, I use it with a monitor, keyboard and mouse. But I was surprised to find how usable it was without those, and spend a fair proportion of my time using it sitting on the sofa now.

Performance isn't an issue. If I was doing video work, or gaming, maybe a desktop would be worth it, but pretty much all of my stuff isn't CPU/GPU bound these days.

Wireless + laptop is liberating - sit where you want, no need to set up a desk for it. That'll be the big reason for the popularity.

'Course there's the other risk that the freedom means you're using the thing more than you should :-)

Reply to
Clive George

I'd find that far more uncomfortable than using my desktop at its station with a decent chair. Indeed, I've seen plenty getting a stand for a laptop so it is in a sensible position for comfort.

Lots tend to leave them set up at a table etc. Rather than the hassle of unplugging the PS and putting the whole thing away.

And BTW I hate more not having a mouse. To the point where I use one with my laptop apart when I have to use it on the move, as it were.

Hope not. Computers are responsible for all sorts of repetitive use injuries. A laptop will make this worse.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Different people, different postures - I never said you had to sit the same way as I do :-)

(If I set up my work environment in the way that our work H+S people think it ought to be, I'd be uncomfortable).

Oh, I know. But ours move around and never get put away.

I'm doing fairly well on that front. I use the computer in various positions, which I think helps.

What you didn't mention is the bit where the manufacturers helpfully point out that a laptop isn't designed to be used on a lap - if you're not careful, the ventilation gets blocked. Fortunately I'm careful :-)

Reply to
Clive George

Agreed, seems to be a common problem. Though the Logitech G15 I've had for the last few years is still fine and the macro keys are useful.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Logitech *say* they have a 3 year warranty. On contacting them, it doesn't cover wear and tear. So only applies to a part which isn't used.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

=A0 London SW

I think the laptop preference for many is because they take up less 'house room' and these days are plenty powerful enough for most everyday domestic apps.

Funnily enough I noticed those Crayola keyboards in my local surplus shop this week, 7 quid IIRC, thought they looked ideal for anyone with less than perfect vision or dexterity.

Reply to
airsmoothed

To allow more space for that huge TV?

Reply to