oven elements

Hello,

I replaced our old oven the other day and removed the elements before disposing of it.

At first I thought about selling the elements on ebay but then I thought that I do not know the exact part numbers to advertise them and who would gamble on second hand elements anyway? I never had any problem with them but who is to say whether they will last years/months/weeks/days?

What are the elements made from? If copper, I could take them to the scrap yard for some money but otherwise perhaps I should just put them in the bin?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

There's no scrap value in a tiny amount of mixed materials, and its largely sand or similar anyway.

Perfectly saleable as 100% working elements though. You know the brand and model, can quote any markings on it, and photo it with 2 rulers behind it.

NT

Reply to
NT

Though, with the price competition (sellers list white good parts on ebay for a load less than their proper on-line shops) on new elements on eBay, it's probably not worth the time or bother.

Reply to
Scott M

I walked into a local hardware shop and got one for mine a few months ago

- cost was equivalent to about 3 gallons of milk (I'm in the US, but the price of milk is probably a good way of comparing :-)

If it's cheap and available locally, trying to sell a used item online seems like a waste of effort.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

[...]

Given that new elements are typically £15 - 20 new from real world shops, and £6ish inc. post off ebay, I doubt there is any market for 2nd hand ones.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Grr, sassafrassarassum duplicate posts! I'll see if I can get to the bottom of why it's doing it (and more often lately, it seems)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

That's more or less what I was thinking; thanks for confirming it though.

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

Thank you. I will check the auctions but if it is not worth the time and hassle, I'll put them in the bin.

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

I dunno - depends on the oven. I replaced a fan element in my parents Siemens oven a couple of months ago. Cheapest I could find a replacement for was nearly 80 quid IIRC.

No pattern ones available.

Had there been a second hand on on ebay at the time I'd have had a punt for a tenner maybe.

So, it does depend a bit :-)

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Google for spares suppliers and you will probably be able to identify the part number also as well as seeing what a new spare costs.

Reply to
hugh

The one I've just replaced (in some industrial kit, not domestic, but I'm sure they're all similar) looked as if it was filled with magnesium oxide, the same as MICC (Pyro) cable - though that's just a passing observation and I didn't send it off to the chem lab for analysis ;-) I got to see the inside as it had literally blown up - it appeared that water had got in through a hairline crack and then steam pressure inside had blown the jacket open. There appeared to be a choice of jacket material - plated steel, plated copper, stainless - but I'd assume the element inside is most likely a nickel alloy resistance wire. If passing a bin for mixed metal scrap I'd probably put it in there, but as has already been said I can't see you getting any money for it as scrap.

Reply to
docholliday

Yes, they normally are. Aluminium oxide is also used sometimes in heating elements, but not in pyro AFAIK. (Pyro is drawn through compression rollers to produce whatever size is required, as well as compressing the magnesium oxide, but that often isn't possible for heating elements, where the nichrome and/or casing won't compress and draw together.)

Yes, nichrome is used.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel