Oven buying advice

My oven element's gone and Electrolux want near £60 to send me a new one, so I'm considering the cost of a new oven as the old one is a bit ... well .. old ..!

Anyone any good advice on brands and things to watch out for? Had a quick look around Curries and Comet tonight and most are in the £350-600 range. It's a built-in single oven currently. Considering a double one possibly - we have a useless cupboard underneath the current one so I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to put a supporting shelf in lower down.

Also - how much might I expect to pay for a sparks to install it (and perhaps put in a shelf lower down if we go for a double)? I'm in outer London (HC's).

al

al brought next idea :

You should be able to find a replacement new element for less than £20.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

But where ... people keep just telling me to ring Electrolux ..?

al

I've just ordered a Zanussi washing m/c part today from "Ezee-fix". The price was pretty competitive, i.e. half the price of the local spares shop. I gave up waiting for them to answer the phone at the "official" Zanussi-recommended spares places.

I see they have a range of Electolux elements, none of which are anywhere near £60. Might be worth a look. BTW if the model number is not listed, give them a call (contact details on website) - the lady I spoke to there today was extremely helpful.

Simon Stroud

Try this:

I am delighted with our Electrolux double built under oven. I particularly like the fact that the controls are at the SIDE which allows the top oven to be higher and the knobs don't get burnt.

Reply to
John

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 21:52:49 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "al" strung together this:

Try going to your local independant appliance repair shop. They will be able to provide you with a replacement, and possibly even fit it for less than £60.

Reply to
Lurch

Thank you so much Simon and John for the links ... both sites have it (EOB945GR1) for about £35, which I think is a lot easier than rushing into buying a new oven ;)

al

While we're on the topic, I have an extractor hood above my hob, which may or may not be Electrolux (as the hob and oven are). There is a cloth filter in it that is disgustingly made of dripping grease and oil, matted up and folded over (and probably many years old)! Where might one buy a replacement "cloth" to fit the size?

al

Our Betterware catalogue has sheets of it that can be cut to size. It changes colour when ready for changing,

Reply to
John

Obviously I have no idea. I live on fish and chips anbd lager.

What I want to know is this:

At work we are fitting cooker hoods that don't go anywhere. There is a fan on them and presumably a filter.

Why on earth isn't it directed outside?

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

In article , Michael Mcneil writes

They normally have a charcoal filter to get rid of smells when used in "recirculating" mode, and some grease is removed by the grease filter, but that's about all it gets rid of.

Presumably it is too difficult to vent outside for some reason?

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

for a replacement oven

a replacement element

Simon

for a replacement oven

a replacement element

Simon

In message , al writes

CPC sell them

Reply to
geoff

Have you tried running it through the dishwasher? Theyre very good at degreasing filthy things. And unlike a wahsing machine, if the item disintegrates or gets caught up, there is no damage and no difficulty removing it.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Damn good point!! I had just that fear about the washing machine ....

al

They certainly are - After an engine rebuild, I put my toolkit through the parent's dishwasher (about 25 years ago, while they were on holiday) and it came out beautifully, although I had to wipe a few items with a lightly WD40'd rag to stop them rusting.

Nick

Reply to
nick smith

So they do ... I would never have thought of looking there!! Thanks :)

al