Outdoor steps finished

Here are my steps almost finished:

still have to make a solid foundation at the base, and put some metal plates over two of the joins.

The steps are 6 metres long and are at an angle of 55 degrees. They are entirely made from Pinus Radiata, treated to withstand being in the ground. I even made the handrail from that, and used a router to round it off. I'll paint the whole thing. Total weight is about 200 kg.

They are very easy to walk up, and OK to walk down forwards. And much safer than a ladder!

I decided against trying to have landings. The result would not be strong enough, and would be trickier to walk up and down than a simple run of steps.

The bank goes up another 12 metres with a gentler slope. I've already built a track up that part.

Reply to
Matty F

The nice thing about jobs of this scale it that progress can easily be seen, unlike small fiddly tasks which take effort far out of proportion to the observable results.

So, where is the zip wire?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

The steps are rough sawn, and full of horrible stuff like copper chrome arsenate. They also face due north, which is where the sun comes from in NZ. I don't think anything will grow on them. But I can add wire netting if needed. I'm going to cover the whole bank with wire netting to stop the rocks falling down until plants take over.

Reply to
Matty F

You have enough distance there that you could have built yourself a little cable-car... :-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Zorbing track??

And do you offer residential courses/working holidays pl? (There seems to be a lot more to learn/enjoy around you than with adult education here - and the prices here are astronomical even just for evening classes if you are not an unemployed youf, just out of prison etc.)

Reply to
Robin