OTish. Why does my heart sink....

When the customer says "we have all the materials"....

Especially when they have asked for advice in a BORG.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Because you know they've "had a go myself" and you're going to have to quote them 1 hour to do the job and 9 hours to put right what they've broken?? Plus another trip to Wickes to get the *right* materials....

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

Because you can't buy them at trade rates and charge the customer at list price?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

O.K. - what is a BORG in this context?

Possibly guess that O=online and G=group but...

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Because you are a cynic due to prior experience of such assurances. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

A collective. eg a newgroup or forum.

Reply to
ARW

Big Orange Retail Giant.

"In newsgroup rec.woodworking and several Internet forums for woodworking hobbyist (i.e.

the term BORG can be found as an acronym for Big Orange Retail Giant. This is a derogatory term for large retail home improvement stores. One large chain of retail home improvement stores uses the color orange for its corporate image. The term BORG is applied to all large retail home improvement stores in its usage on the above Internet locations. The Star Trek cross-reference to BORG is related to the demise of local hardware stores that supplied woodworking hobbyist due to what appeared to be mindless and ruthless business practices of the big retail home improvement stores".

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yes exactly. That's why this happens: "I've been to Wickes and bought the aerial and a booster and all the other bits. How much will you charge to come and fix it on the roof?" "How much did you spend at Wickes?" "About a hundred and twenty quid." "OK. Well take it all back and get your money back, and give it to us, and we'll supply and install a far better aerial, one that's actually the correct type for the location, with a stronger fixing and a far better amp, for just £30 more. Alternatively, we'll install what you've got for £100 but there will be no warranties whatsoever from us on the materials and the reception will not be our responsibility."

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

What's the problem with that? You just do the job with those materials without any warranty [1] on them and charge them extra (cost plus and travelling) when/if you have to change the materials to suit the job.

BTW, what's the difference between you assembling customer supplied flat-pack furniture and using any materials supplied by them? The same priciple applies to both scenarios as you may or may not get all of the bits, or even the correct bits in the flat-pack - and you never wrote those immortal words "Why does my heart sink...." in this group then.

"[they] have asked for advice" - Erm, isn't that a little hypocritical of you, as that's precisely what you do here and at other places for the most basic of tasks?

BORG - WTF is a "BORG" BTW?

[1] You only offer a warranty then for defective workmanship - simples!
Reply to
Unbeliever

IOW the trade discounts are where your profit come from, which was my point.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Wow. You have clients in touch with a race of ruthless half-human half-machine interstellar conquerors? In your place I don't think I'd argue with what they've been told. The consequences probably wouldn't be pleasant.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Those are CYBORGS.

In your place I don't think I'd

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes. So giving the profit on the parts to Wickes instead of using it to subsidise the install is plain daft.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

A friend of mine often sees this and finds that the chinese made item that they have purchased in an up-market shop for hundreds is complete s**te and he could have supplied a quality item for a quarter of the price (including his mark-up)

Reply to
alan

Guess why British brands are selling like hot cakes, in China.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Chinese are also buying up British brand names that were once considered to be a badge of quality.

Reply to
alan

Buying British brand names has been going on for years, long before the Chinese got involved.

Reply to
charles

He becomes thicker every day.

The problem is, the customers are likely to get the wrong stuff.

He becomes thicker every day.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Not at all. If they buy the wrong stuff & I have to get the right stuff, I get a mark up & get paid for the time spent getting it.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Did you bother to read the comment you just replied to?

Reply to
Adrian