OTish upright vacuum cleaner for old biddy?

for Mother dearest who currently has one of those £29.99 pieces of crap from the old biddy's catalogue that is basically a 1-watt car hoover that clips into an upright frame and thermally cuts out every 4.6 seconds. It won't get heavy use, but needs to be as light as possible with a long cord and bagless, not too expensive because muggins here is going to be paying for it.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

for Mother dearest who currently has one of those £29.99 pieces of crap from the old biddy's catalogue that is basically a 1-watt car hoover that clips into an upright frame and thermally cuts out every 4.6 seconds. It won't get heavy use, but needs to be as light as possible with a long cord and bagless, not too expensive because muggins here is going to be paying for it.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Local Free paper and a secondhand Henry

Reply to
Nthkentman

Too soon to determine how well it works in practice but we went for the lightest weight VAX U88-W1-B (about 6kg and very simple) from Curried Digital in the end - see the earlier thread about vacuum cleaners.

A Samsung model was also recommended but this was a bird in the hand the other was on Amazon.

It can't be any worse than the thing it replaces which makes loads of noise but doesn't pick up much dust even after servicing.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I got my mum, who views the lightest average upright as weighing as much as the Eiffel Tower, a (admittedly) second hand Oreck about 12 years ago. Does her fine. Bagged (just spotted the bit about bagless) but just bought a few on ebay pretty reasonably.

Scott

Reply to
Scott M

TMH will be along shortly.

Any of the lightweight offerings from the main vendors. Orecks are well mad e but expensive. Non-uprights have the advantage that mostly you're only mo ving the hose about. A head with an electrically motorised brush is a big c leaning plus. The longer the hose, the less you move the machine.

I bought jeans from a catalogue once. What arrived had a hemline that came most of the way up my chest! Only a lobotomised person would have worn them . I think they bought a batch of rejects for pence each, and were hoping fo r desperate customers. When I rejected and refused to pay for them they fai led to collect them, and left misinformation on my credit history.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

This one.

Around £80. It's light and robust. It uses bags, but the originals are not too dear - around a quid each. It is simple to attach bits, and obvious where they go.

The problem I have with bagless types is emptying them. On a windy day not all of it ends in the outside bin, and for the (crap) Hoover hurricane bagless one we also have, a lot of the dust then electrostatically clings to the plastic body of the unit - so that needs a dust as well.

Reply to
Adrian C

Since linking that myself a few days ago to start the previous thread, I've seen it a tenner cheaper in my local leccy store (that is to say: electricity-board-as-was local shop), but was told by the assistant that it was rather noisy, compared to the Dyson I also linked. I've heard that it's rather noisy from at least one other source as well, but can't remember where now - may even have been the previous thread.

I also saw there Samsung TV models similar to those I asked about in uk.tech.digital-tv, and although the HD pictures were pretty good, the SD pictures were appalling - as they were on most of them, to be fair - so that has rather put me off buying them for now.

Wish to god that these TVs had been widespread when digital TV first came along - if the regulators had been using them we'd've probably ended up with fewer SD channels at much better bitrates.

+1
Reply to
Java Jive

That's why you take a supermarket plastic bag, stick the end of the container well into it and invert depositing dust etc into bag which you can the tie off and drop into bin.

If we waited for a still day up here the vac would never get emptied, which reminds me it does need emptying and it's not blowing a gale, ta!

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've taken to using a double layer of supermarket bags, making sure that any holes don't line up.

Reply to
S Viemeister

So ... your bagless vacuum cleaner needs a bag. Another mark against Die-soon, then.

Reply to
Huge

Miele bags have a plastic 'gate' to be pulled over the hole when full.

Andy Burns

May be but at least it's tied off and doesn't erupt a volcano of dust over you if you drop something on it. No bags for vacs that I have seen have any means of sealing them when full. Suermarket bag is also free.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Numatic bags (at least for Henry and friends) have a sealing tab.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Sebo bags have a stopper.

Reply to
Huge

Sebo bags come with a sealing disc that you pop in.

Not that much can escape as the stuff in them compacts tightly.

(I know as I had to cut the top off one and look for a chain the wife thought she had vacced up.)

Reply to
dennis

And they are supplied free?

Reply to