OTish: Teenager repulsion - ultrasonics?

My gran's got a field with a few trees at the top end, and we're having problems with kids drinking in the field. I've already been and got rid of all the tall scrub that's giving cover, and next I'll see about thinning out the trees.

What I'm wondering about is whether it'd be possible and worthwhile to set up something like one of those cat scarers up in the top of the trees and run them off lithium batteries to make sitting around there drinking unpleasant for anyone with halfway decent hearing. Anyone got any ideas of how much it'd cost and where to buy the kit (I can bodge stuff together DIY quite happily).

Reply to
Doki

There's one with a price here:

one can be found by typing "teenager repellent" into google - although it has no price.

Reply to
Bioboffin

This will not be a lot of help, but there is actually a device to get rid of teenagers. I cannot remember much about it, not even where I read the details, but it seems it emits a high pitch squeal which older folk cannot hear, but bugs the hell out of teenagers.

Reply to
Broadback

I thought that got banned for some reason it was used outside a shop up north a while back, I think the police made them remove it.

Have a look

df

Reply to
df

the date it was added to their catalog(ue)?

Reply to
<me9

In article , Doki writes

Nothing quite as effective as a Granny in carpet slippers, shotgun over arm shouting 'Git orf my land!' . . . . with the possible exception of a Matt Monroe cd.

Reply to
fred

I seem to recall that somebody who used ultrasonics had trouble with the police over it. (Sorry I can't find a reference at the moment).

My local shopping centre started playing classical music over the PA, which seemed to do the job quite well.

John

Reply to
John White

A friendly farmer who can spread a bit of muck around where they congregate?

Reply to
shaun

Broadback wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

I think it's called a boombox loaded with Barry Manilow tapes

Reply to
Mike the unimaginative

> Notice the date it was added to their catalog(ue)?

If you think this is a scam, you could make a killing sueing them for illegal advertising.

Reply to
Bioboffin

Or find a dead sheep and dump it there .In a short while they won't want to gather there ..I'm sure of that .

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Job done...

Reply to
Steve Walker

Some question over the legality of a device which intentionally causes discomfort & distress to a targeted group. Falls foul of public health laws imho, statutory nuisance and all that. Might not apply in this case, due to private land with no public right of access.

Reply to
Steve Walker

or:

shaun

The message from "Doki" contains these words:

Muckspreader. A couple of passes with half a ton of the slurry pit's finest and they won't be back.

Reply to
Guy King

Can be easily done, but, I'd rather not have the smell of shit if possible.

Reply to
Doki

> Another one can be found by typing "teenager repellent" into google -

Yebbut have you seen the price? All you need is a battery pack, and some sort of tweeter & signal generator, or a piezo buzzer that works at a relatively high frequency and you're away. The cat scarer things are about £20 and are audible to people with good hearing (certainly me, and they're not right pleasant).

Reply to
Doki

I hear that a dose of Mozart shifts them.

Reply to
Roger Cain

It'd be cheaper and easier to smear the areas most affected with jams and over-ripe fruit, to encourage wasps and ants (little and often to make the wasps keen on returning for more) and also find a source of rustic aroma product (the more the merrier. Good old fashioned milk by-product well applied and liberally) and get some fresh helpings of that from time to time.

Even the odd 10 day old tin of oily fish aught to do the trick. Splash it all over.

Then there is the good old fashioned favourite, thistles and nettles. Good for the environment too.

I doubt it is illegal to play whatever music you like to annoy neighbours outstaying their welcome. 1950's crooners proved a great success in the USA, decades ago. Old scratched records played a little slow will travel best over a greater distance. See if you can get some Paul Robeson. The deeper the notes the better, it doesn't have to be loud. Just get a megaphone and an intruder alarm to set it off.

Steer clear of personal contact. A gang doesn't have much reason where alcohol is involved and the politics of confrontation always favours democracy on such occasions.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Problem will soon be gone with summer on its way out. Provided there is no house near where they are congregating as another poster suggests - jam / sugar water to attract the wasps next year

Reply to
shaun