OTish Hand driers & Hi Viz?

Had to change a toilet seat this afternoon, office block, single WC room about 6' x 8'.

It being a trifle inclement outside I was wearing a Hi Viz fleece, bright yellow, reflective strips.

As soon as I entered the room the automatic warm air drier started up & stayed on.

If I left the room it switched off & stayed off.

After about 10 mins the room became rather warm, so I took the fleece off & left it outside the room. Drier didn't come on unless you put your hands underneath. Weird.

Spent a few mins waving the fleece in & out of the room like a demented matador. Not underneath the drier where the sensor is, but in front of it.

Something about the hi viz was definitely triggering the sensor on the hand drier. But what?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

There is a well known fault/problem (but not admitted by the manufaurer but well known by electricians) of some hand driers activating when the PIR lighting in the toilets are activated (or just by turning the lights on).

BTW was it a Dyson hand dryer?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Well who knows, maybe its sensitive to one of the wavelengths of light that the day glo stuff converts the light to. Seems odd though as i'd have thought the sensor was not light based. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Well I doubt they are passive IR, the stream of hot air would keep them triggered. They are almost certainly working by the light from a led(IR?) being reflected back to a receiver.

Reply to
dennis

The scotchbrite reflective strips on them are very reflective to infra-red, as anyone who's seen them in a night vision camera will have found. It will be reflecting some IR source which is normally out of sight of the hand drier into its sensor.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Occupancy sensor for lights or cistern?

Reply to
Andy Burns

In article , Andrew Gabriel writes

The key feature being that they reflect back in the same axis as the light is received so a stray reflection from a source/detector combo[1] will be bounced back direct to the receiver (via the same stray reflection path), triggering it.

I imagine the receiver will be set quite sensitive as it is normally receives reflections from (non reflective) hands.

Normally, stray reflections from shiny bathroom surfaces will not affect the detector as they will bounce around randomly and don't reflect back directly at the source/detector.

[1] Short wave IR, it can't use a PIR as the hot air would retrigger it.
Reply to
fred

Not sensitive enough in some cases where I'm waving my hands about like a demented signer for the deaf, trying to get the blasted thing to switch on.

-- Halmyre

Reply to
Halmyre

I have invisible hands too, which is why I end up doing Nazi salutes to the PIR on the staircase lights.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Try wearing hi-viz gloves, then you will *really* start getting funny looks :-)

Reply to
Newshound

So that you can see where you're going when you have to get up in the night? .-)

Reply to
Bob Eager

So I can move feet quickly from bed to slippers without treading on wire clippings, solder snots, screws, and anything else littering the bedroom carpet.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

What's wrong with nightlights? We have a number of Osram Lunneta (sp?) which are very good.

Reply to
Huge

Reminds me of my bedroom floor as a teenager. I did once step on an upturned DIL IC, which plugged itself into the bottom of my foot, resulting in 2 rows of red dots when I extracted it. Fortunately it was only an 8-pin DIL, and not a 40-pin one ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

A rather superior version of stepping on a Lego brick.

Reply to
Huge

Or a wire wrap socket.

Reply to
Bob Eager

But if you're wandering to the bathroom or kitchen...

Reply to
Bob Eager

We have one in the bathroom.

Reply to
Huge

We've found that the little green lights on the smoke alarms on the landing provide a surprising amount of light. And there's a streetlamp at the back of the house that lights the bathroom sufficiently.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Ah, yes. Streetlamps. The nearest one is over a mile away.

Reply to
Huge