OT: Windows Live Mail 2011

Have tried Googling, but not found a solution to the fact that Windows Live Mail doesn't reply properly to newsgroups (missing > symbols).

Aside from adding in all of the greater than symbols manually, has anyone using Windows Live Mail 2011 found a fix to make replying to newsgroup messages easier?

And no, installing another application does not constitute a fix to Windows Live Mail 2011. Nor does installing Linux or buying an Apple machine. ;-)

And yes, I can find more applicable newsgroups or forums, but want to ask here as well.

Cheers

JW

Reply to
John Whitworth

It seems to be a bug in v 2011, I am involved in a couple of threads elsewhere about this issue. What about going back to v 2009?

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

I had same problem - couldn't find a fix, gave up and went to Thunderbird. Not hugely impressed so far, I actually like OE after all those years together.

Reply to
Steve Walker

In article , John Whitworth writes

You're wrong, it does. And if that doesn't suit your requirements, complain to M$, whose broken software it is. But they have studiously ignored complaints about the similarly broken Outhouse Depress for years, so I wouldn't expect much of a response from them - they have your money now.

If you can't be arsed finding a more appropriate place to ask, why should anyone bother to help you?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , John Whitworth writes

No. YOU are wrong. That would not be "a fix to Windows Live Mail 2011". That would be "a fix to the problem".

Your hilarious comment about "Outhouse Depress" is a few years out of date. Windows Live Mail replaced Outlook Express some years ago - and it was perfectly good as a news and mail agent. I may revert to that version, as another, genuinely helpful reply suggests. It's a pity though, as Windows Live Mail 2011 does have a lot of other nice features. I do not just use WLM though - I also have Outlook 2010, and I use three separate web accounts too - I like to segregate a lot of things.

I wish you'd not bothered.

JW

Reply to
John Whitworth

That will unfortunately probably be the solution for me. A shame, as I genuinely like a lot of the other improvements - like fast image slideshows etc, and the easy undo of graphical emoticons back into the intended text-only versions.

Cheers

JW

Reply to
John Whitworth

One can improve the basic features of TB greatly by setting up a couple of filters as described here:

John Rumm

They fixed OE years ago when they replaced it with WLM. It has done sigs and quoting OK until the latest version and that appears to be broken.

Its free. You can even download it using linux.

Why did you waste your time with such a cr@p reply? Not only insulting but totally wrong.

Reply to
dennis

I've just noticed *another* bug. WLM 2011 seems to strip the "OT:" from the subject too!!

D'oh!

JW

Reply to
John Whitworth

thanks- i've just set up the thunderbird [me] filter, now to test it...

Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

In article , John Whitworth writes

It doesn't negate the point I was making that Microsoft were totally unresponsive to complaints that it was a broken crock of shit which didn't quote properly (needing a third party application to make it do so) and didn't adhere to the RFCs. So expecting them to fix Windows Live several years down the line is going to be a similarly futile exercise.

So you have to revert to older, perhaps vulnerability ridden, software in order to obtain features which have been Internet standards for years and years, and which M$ doesn't implement or fix in its broken software?

Smart move. It's idiots like you that get your PCs infected and herded into botnets.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I just really don't know what to say to that. It is such a tragic, misunderstood, completely off-the-point, completely irrelevant and completely wrong comment.

Your newsgroup reader may be amazing - but you need to learn how to drive it with respect and consideration to other NG users.

Reply to
John Whitworth

Being able to show just watched threads with new posts I find is great - makes it easy to spot that late reply to a month old thread that you had forgotten about!

Reply to
John Rumm