OT Windows 10

En el artículo , J.B.Treadstone escribió:

You realise you're talking to the idiot troll Wodney?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

One joker in the pack is the emergence of BYOD as a way of engaging employees with corporate IT. It (cunningly) blurs the lines between "commercial" and "personal" use. I suspect that whatever is going to happen with Windows 10 licensing, there will be some attempt to cover this scenario - which will remove the clear distinction between "home" and "professional".

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Thanks. I hadn't realised it was him, but I /had/ figured out it was some sort of troll. :-)

Reply to
J.B.Treadstone

In the case of the main one, it does suit his usage pretty well.

He doesn?t even have a landline at all anymore, and gets to use the same computer wherever he is and he does most of what he does when out of the house. He isn't into any of the stuff that doesn?t work as well on a smartphone like word documents or spreadsheets.

Another one doesn?t even have a mobile phone at all and had to borrow mine when he managed to break the fancy key for his ute and wanted to get his wife to show up with the spare. And he couldn?t even make the call, I had to do that for him. In his case not having even a stupidphone means that we can't tell him about which of the garage sales have just opened so he has to piss much more of his money against the wall on petrol tearing around waiting for them to open. We coordinate that by phone now and he is missing out big time on that.

Reply to
Simon263

Well exactly, a confederacy of dunces is not progress, the coming thing or where it's at.

That millions of people are smokin crack, dribbling in their jesus phones, and getting fat on macdonalds doesn't make it the best thing since sliced bread.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You can say that about XP over 3.1 and 98 too.

The same way motor

But changing to injected and computer control of cars did make one hell of a difference to how much farting around you have to do maintenance wise with cars now and is worth having even if you are a desperate pov.

And that is from someone who used his previous car for well over 35 years and only changed it because I had been stupid enough to not fix the known windscreen leak which eventually corroded out the floor and made it unregisterable.

Sure, it was certainly one of the more significant versions of Win, but 7 did add some stuff like the taskbar popups that do make it a lot more convenient to use than XP. I used to have so many icons on the taskbar that it quite literally took up half of the screen with autohide used to make that viable. Most of them were the databases I use regularly and browser icons for the most commonly used sites.

With 7 there is just one icon for each app and I'm back to just 2 rows with it still on autohide and something like half of that is just because I have all the obvious browsers there for what each does best.

Once that

Sure, but the apps are what you actually use most of the time.

In theory. In practice I found that the latest hardware upgrade to a quad core i5 did allow my to not bother with a separate dedicated PVR anymore, Up till that time I used the previous incarnation of the main machine for the PVR and was stuck with the lack of USB2 and stuff like that with a machine which by definition is where all the large hard drives are used.

With the latest main machine, USB3 comes standard and is dramatically better for the drive docking stations that is the way I very cheaply handle the big pile of multi TB hard drives that are convenient with any PVR.

To throw

In practice the main advantage technology gave me with cars is that I no longer have to fart around doing minor maintenance like timing and plug changes and greasing etc and now just do only an oil change.

Yes, and I have found the antilock breaking and security quite useful at times.

And mine has a normal spare too, not one of those recent abortions.

Very dramatic advances with tablets, smartphones and stuff like that.

Some of the people I know don?t even bother with a laptop anymore.

Same with houses, you can certainly claim that all the recent stuff is cosmetic, but that?s radically overstating it with insulation alone even if you don?t get as carried away with it as Harry has.

Reply to
Simon263

Nothing whatever to do with MS's word, everything to do with what their competition is doing which means that whatever MS might want to do as far as charging for the use of their OS, while ever every single one of their competitors includes their OS with the hardware and provides upgrades entirely for free, and when MS has a derisory market share of the bleeding edge of technology now, tablets and smartphones etc, MS will just see their customers make and obscene gesture in the general direction of MS if they try to start changing for the use of Win10.

That's the reason for MS's recent change, they have no option on that.

Reply to
Simon263

Well greasing hasn't been needed for years, ever since they made better seals and ball joints etc that are greased for life.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Such a skilful troll that he only had to use the word smartphone to see all the dinosaurs baying at the moon.

Reply to
Simon263

No one said anything about the best thing since sliced bread.

If you haven't noticed what a smartphone does better than a stupidphone, that's your problem.

Reply to
Simon263

And that is just another example of how useful technology is with cars.

Reply to
Simon263

Well the one thing it does do, is keep stupid people occupied & thinking they are smart.

Whether that is better or not is moot.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Noted with many thanks. :)