OT Windows 10

Since its officiallyout at the end of next month, it looks like a gamble that not too many users will find too many bugs. However, if there are any blind people reading this, the new browser and other apps running on a similar set of new routines in Windows, are not fully supported ffor screenreaders yet and indeed, nobody seems to be sure they actually will be at the start of win 10 release, so please, don't upgrade at the start, it will be a headache as the manufacturers play catch up. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

(top posted for Brian)

M$ has always expected their users to beta test their software. The consensus in the industry and among Tech Preview users seems to be that Win10 is nowhere near good enough for a release candidate, so instead users will be alpha-testing it.

Avoid.

If you want to disable the Win10 advert/nagware that M$ has sneakily installed on Win7 and 8 systems, remove or hide the following patches in Windows Update:

KB2952664 KB2990214 KB3035583

En el artículo , Brian-Gaff escribió:

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Indeed. I thought I'd seen somewhere that Microsoft is planning that you never "own" Windows10, you just rent it. So those taking advantage of the current free upgrade might find that after the initial free year, they are forced to pay annually to keep it going. I'd read the small print vary carefully - though software providers get their lawyers to write hundreds of long boring paragraphs of the stuff, just so it's hard to find the important details.

Reply to
Clive Page

A moot point (perhaps) but Windows users never *did* own their copy of Windows installed on their computers.

The ultimate goal of MS is that a Windows user will just have a basic copy of Windows on a machine, & everything else will be on a MS Cloud. This was "leaked" some time ago, by a person who had access to MS insiders & who published it anonymously on his website. This person had been right about his previous "predictions" about what MS was up to. The website disappeared about about 18 months, or two years ago, & has never come back. (This was reported in The Register too). It is then very likely, as you say, that Windows users could be made to pay annually to have access to their data.

Reply to
J.B.Treadstone

I am reasonably happy with Windows 8 I do not seem to get any problems. My concern is if I go for Windows 10 will I be able to revert to Windows

8 with ease? I am not particularly software savvy, so dual loads etc. are not easy for me.
Reply to
Broadback

I think it is much more likely that MS has decided to go the way the whole of the rest of the industry has gone with retail level OSs, all of the updates and upgrades will be free to those who already have the OS and they will make their money from what they get when their OS is sold with the hardware.

I'd read the small

Reply to
Simon263

Odd that MS has a completely free cloud and while ever their competitors have their own, they won't be able to charge everyone to use theirs.

In fact they have just recently added completely free versions of word and excel to Apple's iOS which doesn?t cost anyone a penny to upgrade and with their main cloud competitors like dropbox too.

Reply to
Simon263

For The Moment. "Come into my parlor, said the spider to the fly.."

Reply to
J.B.Treadstone

Forever, for the reason I just listed.

Reply to
Simon263

However ...

anything cloudy can just stop working. Sure you may have some components available locally to speed up the experience. But the bottom line is, if whatever app it is on your box needs to get some sort of reply from somewhere else to work, and for whatever reason it doesn't. You may just be looking at a very nice screensaver.

I'll wager in five years time, we'll be talking about Microsoft "Prime", where the basic free-model will keep schoolkids and grannies happy, but to get some serious grunt, you need tp pay £79/year.

None of which addresses the question, "Why do I (or anyone) *need* Windows 10 ?". What features does it give me that XP didn't have, apart from the insecurity of XP - which was slightly artificial anyway.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

What hardware ?

Absent a catastrophic mainboard failure, I really can't see any need to upgrade our PC (note, singular, we don't even have one each anymore, since SWMBO got her tablet) in the foreseeable future. To be honest our PC is really just a frontend to various ways to access media. Which is also what our TV is too. Only in our case, rather than stream the PC to the TV, we buffer into a NAS, and play from that. Given the Raspberry Pi I have could do all of that (without a Windows Licence) I think anyone whose business plan is predicated on an "upturn in PC sales" is seriously deluded. Something I have been saying since 2011 ....

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Well you might be. I expect to be using the same version of OS X on the same computer.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The only effect that has with those documents is that you have to use wifi to move it to the phone instead of the cloud.

Sure you may have some components

In fact in that situation the app does all the work.

But the bottom line is, if

That isn't the case with either of those.

and for whatever reason it doesn't. You may just

Not with iOS, because Apple's completely free alternatives, will never be fee per use. They have just started handing out what they used to charge for for free now, so MS will never be able to get away with charging for theirs now. That's why MS' free ones have just showed up.

It does quite a bit of stuff better than XP does, just like 7 did.

Boots much faster for starters.

Pinning stuff to the taskbar and the popup list of what you have open with each app is much better with 7 than with XP too.

Same with the text box in the start menu which XP doesn?t have too.

Reply to
Simon263

Whatever you use for a computer.

She got the OS with that tablet.

To be honest our

MS' isn't, most obviously with their games consoles.

Sure, quite a few people I know don?t have anything but a smartphone now.

Reply to
Simon263

That was a rumour doing the rounds a year or so ago, but now they say

"This free upgrade is offered for one year after Windows 10 is available. After you upgrade, Windows 10 is yours to enjoy."

So I don't think they'll try to turn Win10 into a subscription, as Jethro says they claim with won't ever be a Win11, just updates to Win10, but presumably as some point (into the 2020's) they will try to switch to AzureOS or some similar cloudy subscription.

Reply to
Andy Burns

On 02/06/2015 13:01, Jethro_uk wrote: I think anyone

And one day you may well be right (and you will be able to say "told you so") - however there are many companies who have made lots of money since 2011 since you have graciously let them off without any competition.....

The real trick is knowing exactly when to get in and out of any market

Reply to
CB

Lots of people eat nothing but takeways and fast food and frozen ready meals... too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But all of those are just cosmetic tweaks. The same way motor manufacturers rebadged crappy 1950s tech in the 80s. Just fitting a CD changer instead of an AM radio doesn't change the fact the engine is carburetted rather than injected.

*IMO* the most significant release of Windows was XP, as that combined the previously separate "home" (95/98/ME) versions of Windows with the "Office" versions (NT4/2000) into a single (NT based) entity. Once that was done, with the corresponding death of non-NT apps, system stability increased dramatically. However, since then, what ? Almost all new "features" are basically programs/apps. IE9 ? IE10 ?

Previous upgrades to Windows were driven by new graphics cards, new programs "requiring" new Windows, and truly faster processors. However, there really is a limit as to how much power you need in a PC. To throw in (yet another) car analogy. No matter how good engines get. No matter how good design gets. No matter how light, how strong you make a production car. There's not much point in building (or buying) a car whose main selling point is it can do 300mph.

In fact, to stretch the analogy to breaking point, it's fair to say that most innovation in motor manufacturing in the past 20 years has been in areas like fuel efficiency, safety features (including driver assistance systems) and reducing manufacturing complexity/costs. Guess what the last

10 years have seen in PC innovation terms ?
Reply to
Jethro_uk

Well, I have to suffer increasingly hysterical releases from Gartner et al breathlessly announcing the fabled "upturn" in PC sales.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Your faith in MS's word is quite touching.

Reply to
J.B.Treadstone