OT:Virgin media support

They do state that they provide NGs but don't support them

A quite plainly stated position

Reply to
geoff

CONFIGURATION=1002&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=&USERTYPE=&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=2479

The posting machine has no AV software.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

FWIW I'm getting exactly the same problem with VM news as of today.

May just be a coincidence but I saw the modem re-syncing at 2am today?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T_i_m

After some sterling advice in the VM forums, I reported the problem directly to VMs newsgroup provider - company called Highwinds.

Immediately was assigned a ticket number, got a follow up mail an hour later, and problem fixed within 5 hours.

So massive respect to Highwinds (possibly a US company).

Reply to
Jethro_uk

(Test to see if this previously failed_to_transmit will leave the outbox)

If this gets out then it may be n/g specific as I've been getting the same stated error code today.

I'm not sure if it's relevant but I saw the modem doing some tricks yesterday morning?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Funny, I actually started a 'Live chat' with them at the time for the same reason but they were 'Busy'. ;-(

Thanks from all those also affected (like me). ;-)

HQ in Orlando, I think but they also have a place in Amsterdam (which may be where our Usenet comes from?).

The Usenet service that was provided by NTLWorld > VM was pretty solid and fast here, prior them outsourcing it to Highwinds.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

It didn't used to be! Before NTL/VM set up a text-only server it was truly dire. Even then, it was bad enough (I think on reliability grounds rather than absolute speed but that was a few years ago) to persuade me to pay for the Berlin server - and I'm still there.

Reply to
polygonum

All the faults that VM don't admit to having somehow get sorted quite quickly if you leave them to it. Maybe they're just trying to crank up the 0845 revenue stream

Reply to
stuart noble

Apart from an outage due to cabling (slight issues, man goes to cabinet and fixes, we get total loss of TV & broadband, idiot did something like trap OUR cable only in the door - or similar), we get very few problems, good speed, and only really complain about prices, advertising, etc. Things like their new customer offers being far better than for existing, "free" upgrade - alongside increase in cost, etc.

Reply to
polygonum

Ah -are you the lemming guy? :) If not, somebody else over there has been doing similar.

There was a brilliant exchange about this in that forum, which went

"Usenet - started getting loads of Error 441s

441 Posting Failed. None of the groups to which the article was posted are valid. E1" - can anyone help?

Whereupon the VM droid came back with: "This looks like an issue you may need to refer to Usenet first, I am currently unaware of any issues with this on our network."

Followed by the OP: "Do you have any idea what usenet is ? NNTP ? Newsgroups ? Perhaps someone who does know could awnser ?" "Is there *anyone* at VM who can deal with this. It's YOUR news servers, so YOU deal with it."

Lobster