OT: tool id

A friend walks her newly-rescued collie along a track that has agricultural fields either side. The dog's mission is to retrieve everything it finds in the drainage channels running parallel to the track for the owner's delight and edification. This recent find has caused some head scratching. Any ideas? TIA

Nick

A tool for ear-tagging cattle, perhaps?

Andy Burns

It would be useful to have an end-on view of the working end, but it looks a lot like a wire stripping tool.

Nightjar

Don't think so Wrong shape at the business end. Same for ear tagging tool. Looks like a hole punch for eyelets minus the end pieces.

Reply to
bert

The 'scissor blades' meet each other - that's what stops it closing further as scissors would. The little pegs welded perpendicular across the top are on opposite sides and don't meet. The top short end of the 'blades' are around a mm across. Andy's thought of cattle ear tags sound good, but would only work if such tools have the puncturing bit offset like that. Both my friend, her father and husband worked with cattle for many years and don't recognise the thing. (I don't have it with me, but can borrow it for more pics tomorrow afternoon if that helps). HTH.

Reply to
Nick

Looks like the two pegs miss each other and it makes two holes in something, so I don't think it's ear tagging.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Unlikely, that doesn?t the post on both sides.

Reply to
john james

I wonder if thy might be for twisting something - say joining fencing wire - where the pegs are simply to stop the pliers slipping off?

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

In message , Peter Parry writes

I couldn't get another look at it today, but I'm 98% sure that both blades were V shaped but not very sharp. Syd's argument for a wire-cutting/bending role looks good, as there are silvery smears in the same place on all four surfaces. This may not have been its primary function, of course - there are people round here who think you can fix anything by hitting it hard enough with a hammer.

Reply to
Nick

Do you mean to say you *can't*?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

...I may be one of them :)

Reply to
Nick

In message , Nick writes

They're called Land Rover owners.

Reply to
bert

And the technical term is 'impact technology'.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

That reminds me...

Nick

The tool of choice in this case being the "Birmingham Screwdriver".

"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every screw looks like a nail."

Reply to
Johny B Good