Ot . The latest way to break your neck? The Flyboard.

The odd thing about these hoverboards (and there are about 8 designs I can find easily) is that they all have the pilot standing or sitting on top of something. That's inherently unstable. Having the pilot suspended underneath is inherently stable. Why don't they do that?

Reply to
GB

Burned by jet exhaust?

Reply to
harry

Absolutely. Only 5 or 6 out of 8 have big fans powered with electric motors.

Reply to
GB

It would need to be a very small pilot? I thought the main point was that you control them via your shifting body weight?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Ground effect.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm wondering how the early flying lesson go?

Reply to
RayL12

Not well

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Coming to a battlefield near you soon.

Reply to
dennis

Nah! They tried that in the 60s wasn't a good idea . No-one fancied being a floating target twenty feet above any cover. And it had to be bigger and easier to control so that joe normal squaddie (not the designer or someone who had taken as long as a pilot to train)could fly one.

soup

The Williams X-Jet was pre-Vietnam War vintage. They could have added a bit of titanium armour, and it might have been more popular. As it was, it worked, but it couldn't really compete with a Huey.

GB

I can see quite a few people that would want one and wouldn't be worried about getting killed.

Reply to
dennis

I 'spect he flies over water because it's a bit softer if he hits it.

Reply to
harry

I think it is no accident that the developer / demonstrator is an international level skier. You and I might not find it so easy.

The original "NASA" jet-pack did have the pilot suspended. It's astonishing how much they have improved the flight time (presumably by having a light but powerful and efficient gas turbine).

Reply to
newshound