OT: Surround Sound?

Good question. I did wonder if a possible answer might be that the well-established use of "Plymouth Brethren" as an adjective ("a Plymouth Brethren childhood", "a Plymouth Brethren family", ""a Plymouth Brethren member "etc) allowed the use of "a Plymouth Brethren" in the same way one refers to "a green", "a Christian". But on the whole I'd rather not enter a plea.

But I would like to note that Skitt's law (or one of its ilk) managed to give us "a brethern" :)

Reply to
Robin

But doesn't that mean they have to complete a paper self-assessment form instead which IMHO was *infinitely* worse!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Oh yes. And personally I share your view about the recent online SA return. (The early online system was dire and I only used it when there was a bribe!) But there were some employers (not just 0the so-called Brethren) who seemed to feel that compulsory online filing for PAYE was the devil's spawn; and I gather that reactions to online filing for VAT have if anything been stronger.

Reply to
Robin

So, radio is more like a book for the lazy?

Reply to
Jules Richardson

As are audiobooks. HTH.

Reply to
John Williamson

1.5mm is already generous for the average surround sound system.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Even right angle ones stick out further than a 13 amp plug. But they are the ideal connector if this doesn't matter.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Samsung. It has 2 HDMI audio in sockets and a Digital Audio (Optical) socket.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Sorted. It should work with the soundbar you mentioned. All you need now is to hear it in action.

Reply to
John Williamson

Thanks John, appreciated.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

One thing to be careful of is the volume control. Certainly some soundbars are not controllable by the TV remote, so you end up needing two remotes - not very SWMBO friendly.

Ideally they TV would mute it's speakers when the digital out is in use, and then vary the level on the output depending on the TV remote. The two I've played with didn't do this. No idea if that's normal, but something to be aware of maybe?

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Maybe a bit late in the day but if all you want is a vast improvement on the atrocious sound on most panel TV's

- and yes why isn't this pointed out more and how do they get away with it - then you could maybe check these out.

once the customer reviews don't lie. And aren't mostly irrelevant

As one of the reviews says don't be put off by the price. I originally bought a pair of these for a 15 in CRT and have bought two more pairs since.

As stated above the sound is a vast improvement at ordinary levels anyway, although a Hi Fi buff could probably pick plenty of holes.

The speakers are 9 1/2in by 6 ins. They're powered speakers so need to be plugged in. Another nice touch considering the price is that long connection leads are supplied both for phono sockets and the headphone socket. I connect mine, now to a Samsung panel TV via the headphone socket. So the TV remote control the sound level etc.

The only negatives from my POV - and they're hardly negatives at this price are that all the controls are on the back of the LH speaker. Most of the controls once set won't need changing so all that's necessary is fitting an on-line switch in an accessible place as it would otherwise be easy to leave them switched on al the time. And the heavy chipboard cabinets

- an advantage according to at least one reviewer are covered in 50's style woodgrain Fablon type beech "veneer". Easily solved with a lick of Morrison's matte black paint.

The box they come in is like something from the

50's as well with a picture of a smiling Chinese girls and a flower.

IMHO this has to be among the worst exampels of totally duff marketing going anywhere of what as a result is a real bargain.

The Maplin website shows stock levels which is handy if you have one near. The No on the box is WS-620 but they're best located by looking for the £24.99 price ticket on the shelf.

michael adams

michael adams

I wanted to buy another pair, but they don't make them any more.

Reply to
Huge

Maybe someone should tell Wharfedale? :-

bought a pair a couple of years ago, and very impressive they are, too. They're advertised all over the net at just under a hundred quid.

Balanced XLR or unbalanced phono inputs, and blooming loud, should that be your thing.

They also do other active speakers.

Reply to
John Williamson

New version of

So you are both correct? ;-)

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

bugger me. Actually, don't. I looked for some a while ago and the only ones I found for retail sale were marked "No longer available".

Ta, I shall have another look.

Reply to
Huge

> maybe? So you are both correct? ;-)

Yeah, those are they.

Reply to
Huge

The ones in the Superfi link are the old type, which has been replaced by the new version, now up version 8.1. For what it's worth, the new ones probably sound better.

If you want an exact match, then you're out of luck. Wharfedale seemed to go through a re-organisation of their products a while back, with the Active Diamonds being moved to the professional division.

Reply to
John Williamson

Alternatively Tannoy Precision if you have deep pockets or Tannoy Reveal for Wharfedale money.

Reply to
Steve Firth

A decent lump of Red/Black car type cable is fine, the more copper and strands of the better.

This sort of thing...

tony sayer