OT? Security cameras

Hi All

I am now thinking about installing external security cameras. I would rathe r integrate these with my existing setup and instead of having a proprietar y box to manage the cameras and store the video, I would rather them stream to a standard file on a PC. I originally thought about IP cameras but outd oor ones seem very expensive (around £200).

Does anyone have experience with connecting coax type ones to a PC? Could a tuner card read the info?

Thanks

Lee.

Reply to
leenowell

My 5M pixel ones cost ~£70. The 1 Mpixel ones cost ~£30.

SC2k.com

No, you need a video capture card or usb adapter.

Reply to
dennis

You would use a video capture card not a TV tuner card.

USB and internal (PCI) cards are available with a number of inputs.

Consider the power running costs and stability of a standard PC running 24/7 for video capture. IP cameras may be more expensive but often have significantly higher resolution and on-board storage (where available) means they don't need a DVR.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Some very nice, if expensive, ones here:

polygonum

I imagine the coax connection is either going to be data or composite video. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Look at zoneminder

Avpx

Reply to
The Nomad

I reckon IP cameras, possibly usinbg using Wifi or Homeplug for communication, are the way to go, for image quality and placement flexibility.

In my experience, analogue cameras don't give good picture quality once they've been though the digitisation stage. Cable lengths and connector quality can also be an issue.

Outdoor IP cameras do tend to be expensive, but could you use indoor ones pointing out of windows in some cases?

Reply to
LumpHammer

Have you considered SDI cameras?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I like the offhand way they promote them as less than EUR1000 each.

Reply to
Nightjar

her integrate these with my existing setup and instead of having a propriet ary box to manage the cameras and store the video, I would rather them stre am to a standard file on a PC. I originally thought about IP cameras but ou tdoor ones seem very expensive (around £200).

a tuner card read the info?

Thinking of upgrading current analogue cams and DVR to IP cams, resolution is always a problem with analogue cams. Running a PC to record a few cams i s a power drain and liable to stability issues.

Current set up is run in CAT5 with baluns , replacement will be IP cams POE switch and Network Video Recorder NVR, just plug into existing cabling.

IP cams are getting cheaper every day:

Adam Aglionby

/My 5M pixel ones cost ~£70. The 1 Mpixel ones cost ~£30.

SC2k.com /q

Mmm honk Kong site, prices in USD, which ones have you got ?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Plus some others.

Reply to
dennis

/Dennis@home

Plus some others/q

Mmm the 5m is $128 plus shipping & applicable UK import duty & vat.... Seems things have gone up since you purchased?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Yes. I got the last one from the German warehouse so there is no duty or VAT to pay when it arrives. I wasn't charged for the ones from HK either.

Reply to
dennis