OT; Seasons greetings

That's only the white meat isn't it? Of absolutely no interest to me.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I was told off for being none PC when that flaming John Lewis Advert came on. Apparently exclaiming " The little Sod should be given a Meccano set and learn some engineering not encouraged to behave like a woofta with a Toy penguin." isn't really allowed to be said in company.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

I found my old Meccano sitting on my parents landing yesterday, apparently Dad had intended mending one of Mum's crafting machines using a crank handle from it ... the coffee tins most of it's stored in were looking distinctly rusty ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

You could say it in my company.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I'm very pleased to say that matey did this:

1) Was slightly disappointed that it wasn't the "one shot Lego" he was hoping for (the type that makes exactly one thing with all custom parts).

2) Quickly realised looking at the number of parts that he was actually onto something with potential.

3) Had a go and got stuck straight away.

4) So I helped with a couple of bits and showed him the trick for holding 5 items (nut, bolt, allen key and 2 items to be joined) with 2 hands while getting the thread started.

5) He then progressed by following the instructions for the simplest model and despite having to back out a couple of bits because of getting left and right mixed up, he is starting to persist and be obviously pleased with how it's going together.

His sister has made the fatal mistake of saying "that's easy I could do it in half the time". I now know what her next present will be!

Was also impressed that they have included some real nyloc nuts - showed him what they did :->>>

Reply to
Tim Watts

If you haven't got one already then get them a magnet,not one of the modern super strong types but something reasonably large. It makes picking up stray nuts and bolts that have descended to the floor easier to find and retrieve and saves that rattling sound as they get vacuumed up. My mother always said "you'll ruin my Hoover leaving those screws on the floor". In the end it was my brother who managed that, In his room she saw a dead fly on the floor which was deftly Hoover up , only it was a March Brown fishing fly and quite a few yards of nylon line followed from the adjoining rod with a reel spinning like a dervish until the Hoover died from melting nylon wrapped around its roller brush and innards.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

The one we got this year came with a couple of legs as well.

Did five of us and there was some left over for today as well.

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , Tim Watts writes

Agreed. We have been buying crowns for several years now and, for three of us, ideal. OK, no brown meat as t'other Tim said, but I can live with that, particularly as we also had a bacon joint in the slow cooker all day. Christmas Day dinner was great, but I always enjoy Boxing Day as much if not more. No big build up, no expectation. Just keep it simple. Last night was just cold leftovers; turkey, bacon, stuffing, cranberry sauce, bread sauce and red cabbage. Wifey makes her own mincemeat and Christmas pud, so the meat was followed by mince pie and pud with a dash of custard and ice cream. Life is good :-)

Reply to
News

I can't.

Before being married I'd occasionally get one of those hot roast chickens at the supermarket.

The white meat went to the cat.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I do have some - good idea :)

:)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yes. OK we're different - we like the white meat more...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Are you Chinese? A fried who is married to a Chinese girl says he really likes going to her parents for a chicken dinner because they regard the white meat as tasteless and fit only for cats, whereas he loves it.

Reply to
Huge

Not today, no.

The white meat *is* tasteless, generally, unless:

1) the cook was careful and clever enough to have it be juicy and succulent, and: 2) the bird just came out of the oven.

I've had "meals" where eating the chicken breast was like eating a ball of string.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Ahh, you've never had one of my wife's roast chickens. That's where you've been going wrong.

Reply to
Huge

IMO poultry is best cooked in an oven bag in the microwave. Chuck it in a fan oven later to brown the skin

Reply to
stuart noble

My lot (3 chinese folk) were quite happy with white meat - raiding the fridge to nick the cold leftovers even).

Reply to
Tim Watts

Poultry is funny stuff.

Best cooked well but not overcooked.

However, many people, including me[1] are scared shitless of getting listeria or salmonella or something else that we tend to verge on overcooking just to be sure.

[1] Having had food poisoning twice in my life it qualifies as "the most shit I have ever felt, ever, without exception, including even having real flu". So I'm not hugely keen on repeating it... So I do sympathise with the overcooking brigade.

OTOH rare red meat worries me not.

Reply to
Tim Watts

And if not cats, for serving up in restaurants and takeaways?

(This is not directed particularly at Chinese - it seems to apply to Indian, British, American, and almost all other catering outlets that sell chicken. They seem to have found an inexhaustible supply of near-tasteless, somewhat oddly-textured, white fibrous stuff.)

Reply to
polygonum

Why do you think that Kentucky Fried Crap have to coat their chicken in Colonel Sanders' secret recipe of (mainly) salt and garlic?

Reply to
alan_m

In an attempt to make their extractor fans push out something that doesn't smell of whatever it is that, in comparison, makes an oil refinery smell good. Unfortunately, they failed. The whiff of a deadlucky fried buzzard is disgusting beyond belief.

Reply to
polygonum