OT: Scanning 2" x 2" slides

now multiply that by 5,000 slides/negatives..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Since no one seems to be answering this point, and many seem to think that a 2"x2" slide is a 35mm slide, may I provide some information, rather than the noise that you are experiencing?

You will need a scanner that is capable of scanning medium format film. Almost every low-end device is 35mm only. Hence your chances of finding a sub £100 scanner to do the job are slim. The best IMO are the Epson Perfection Scanners, they have higher optical resolution, better colour balance and improved sharpness over most of the competition.

The cheapest model that will do what you want is the V600, this is the "prosumer" version of Epson's scanner range. The other scanner with the same capability is the V700 which is the professional version.

A V600 will cost you £195. A V700 will cost you about £420.

I'd ignore all comment about SCSI scanners if I were you. I've owned several and while they were good in their time, they are fuzzy by comparison with modern flatbeds and getting drivers for Windows more recent than Windows Ark (Noah Edition!) is likely to be a problem.

There are dedicated 120 film scanners such as the Plustek Optic Film

120, but these seem rarer than the teeth of hens. A dedicated 35mm scanner which is what most low-priced scanners are will not work unless you want to take scissors to your slides.

The comments about projecting onto a screen and photographing the image are clearly made by individuals who think that as long as you get some coloured smudges onto the computer the job is done. It's not recommended as a way of getting a copy of your precious family memories.

An SLR fitted with a slide copier should produce good results, but I wish you luck with finding one that will work with 120 film. There are many 35mm version of varying quality but none that I am aware of that will reduce a 2" slide down to APS C or smaller sensor sizes.

Perhaps the sensible advice is to get someone to do it for you. However bear in mind that almost all of these services are 35mm only and you will be entrusting the only copy you have to the care of some nerd with no social ability, no money, no insurance and no clue. If something goes wrong they will "lose" the slides and refuse to admit that they ever had them. Been there, had that trick pulled on me. Taking them to court gets your money back but will never get your slides back.

Reply to
Steve Firth

My home-made device also digitises 2"x2" slides. And the price is definitely right. The camera: a Canon SD1000. It works, and the owner of 500+ of the slides, (including the 2"x2" ones), a club, is perfectly happy with the results. Has anyone noticed the name of this group?

--=20 Davey.

Reply to
Davey

For archival work the V700 is a far better bet since its D-Max is significantly better. Having said that, if all that is required is a way of looking at some old photos without getting a projector out, then the lower spec one may be more than adequate.

Something like the Epson 1680 Pro is both USB and SCSI - works fine from either, although is a bit quicker connected via SCSI. Decent SCSI cards are easy to find on ebay etc so should not be an impediment.

Nikon LS4000 is the sort of point where you start getting decent results on medium format, with dedicated slide scanners. Still £500 second hand though. Same again if you want the slide feeder for it.

There are some reverse projection rigs that will achieve a not dismal result, but its not going to be anything close to what you will get with a decent scanner. However since the OP has not specced the requirements of budget, all are valid suggestions.

Depending on location and quantity required, I don't mind doing a few for any of our regulars...

Reply to
John Rumm

I purchased one of these from Canon Refurbished on eBay and it has proved very good indeed.

is so good that I do a lot of slides for people at our Church for FREE..... If that fussy lot are happy with the results then it must be a good one

Jim G

Reply to
the_constructor

That one has no AC adapter. What input power does it need?

Reply to
Davey

In message , Davey writes

The power of prayer ...