[OT] "Rare" collapse

90ft Aberdeenshire turbine felled by wind

d-by-wind-1-2902472

"Neighbour Willie Mitchell, whose home overlooks Mr Anderson's land, said: "It just goes to show how dangerous these things can be.

"It's worrying because there are so many turbines in this area now.

"If someone had been walking by when this came down, it could have been very serious.

"You don't often hear about turbines coming down like this, but I reckon it's more common than you think."

However, Renewable UK, the trade association for the green energy industry, said such incidents are rare.

Mr Mitchell is correct with "You don't often hear about turbines coming down like this, but I reckon it's more common than you think." I know of quite a few in the last year or so. I wonder how Renewable UK define "rare"?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In another discussion, about MMR, I have seen a poster define 1 in 5000 as rare ;)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

that's no 3 in the last year

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Which underscores *why* there is a jab in the first place.

I hope all these pseudo scientists, and Mumsnetty types are happy now.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Perhaps they're not counting the ones where securing bolts have been removed? ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

You don't hear of many nuclear power station accidents and leaks.

They're fairly rare.

And this doesn't list a recent one I read about.

And this was for 14 months ...

Reply to
mogga

They will use the same methodology they use to define the output from wind turbines. So it clearly won't be based on anything remotely factual. A wind turbine will be claimed to be worth 100 x the cost of construction and the flying blades will be deemed safe under all circumstances regardless of their proximity to rights of way, roads and properties.

Hacking them down before they collapse will IMHO become common practice and is only really limited by the availability of oversized spanners, the supply of oxy-acetylene cutting gear and people willing to use them to ensure the security of future electricity supplies.

It won't be long either before those with roofs adorned with solar panels wake up to find them covered in paint or smashed into thousands of pieces.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Why?

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Seek help

Reply to
Gib Bogle

No need for any help as I'm sure it could be done singlehanded but I just can't be arsed.

Reply to
The Other Mike

He does seem to be angry about a few things...

BTW, I hope the NZ Police put my recent $80 donation to their Speed Camera Fund to good use!