[OT] PDP-11 programmer wanted?

Yup, that would have been me! We did send some stuff out using the subs we got, but it all died a death. The remainder of the funds were donated to charity.

This 'previous contact' stuff is getting weird.

There's Darren Chapman (current), Daniele Procida, Andy Champ (son I think), now we have Bob Minchin. And Huge, Jules Richardson...

And I have met Tim Watts, but that was through this group.

I have probably forgotten some other UKC people too. Anyone?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Thanks, most interesting - a compiler that inserts back-door code when it c ompiles itself. We had a decompiler, so any backdoor code could be seen. Th e decompiler was self-aware and refused to decompile itself (so that people couldn't see how it worked).

My compiler was not self-aware, but it did know about all the programs that were allowed to use password fields, and it used to generate different cod e (a call to a logging routine) for the unauthorised programs that people u sed to write and leave on people's computers in order to get their login de tails.

Reply to
Matty F

At least you know they wont be hacked and cant catch viruses.

And the code has had 40 years of testing..

Id say I am actually happy to hear the above

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That means they wont have cheap korean capacitors in them.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Possibly not as OLD as you think, wonkypedia has the PDP-11/93 and PDP-11/94 introduced in 1990, with production stopping in 1997.

Or firmware cores produced by perhaps not the most friendly of foriegn companies. (BT, Huawei (Chinese) and rather a lot of core telecommunications infrastructure equipment).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'm not sure if we've had this conversation before, but we may have been contemporaneous at UKC - I graduated in 1975 and spent far too much time in the Computing Lab and nothing like enough in the Biology Lab, which accounts for both the class of my degree and my current career. Prof. Brown took my undergrad computing course, which was optional and designed for people who already knew how to program. (I'd learned FORTRAN at school.)

Reply to
Huge

AFAIK, Reuters are still running PDP-11 code all over their network, but these days under an emulator.

Reply to
Huge

I could read punched cards, I never had the use of paper tape so can't.

Reply to
dennis

ISTR my co-director wrote a BCPL compiler for his Atari 800... originally in Atari BASIC, and then once working adequately enough he rewrote it in BCPL of course.

Reply to
John Rumm

I used to write assembler on those, then wrote an assembler, a disassembler, an emulator and a small Basic interpreter. Still toying with it from time to time. Somebody actually emailed me to thank me for writing the assembler and suggesting a couple of tweeks.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

The Commodore Amiga had an operating system (AmigaDOS) originally written in BCPL...

Bob Eager

Heh, Peter was my project supervisor in my third year in the early 90's. Modula-3 and C by that time though.

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Which OS?

I could do RSX-11 or RSTS/E, but I draw the line at RT-11.

(A fantastic computer... I wish they were all so.)

Reply to
WeeBob

IIRC, I did - it's what I used to hack away on my original old Amiga. AmigaDOS 1 was written in it IIRC

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

ML/I isn't a programming language per se - although I have added it to the Rosetta Code site and also done some of the simpler tasks there in it.

I did a lot of work with ML/I in my final year (1973!) but it had nothing to do with my degree work...

I still use it. I did the FreeBSD port.

Reply to
Bob Eager

So I see - just been reading about it on wikipedia (so it *must* be true :-))

Peter Brown was also the reason I ended up working at the University after my degree. Very odd phone call

"You did maths with computing? Did you like statistics?" "No, I dropped stats in the first year and took pure maths" "Ah, shame. But you did the C++ module?" "nope, took graphicis, 68k asm and the postscript module" "Ah shame. Do you want a job for 4 weeks doing some statistical analysis in C++?" "Yeah, go on then"

That was in 1995. My 4 week contract appears to have lasted well :-) I still don't like stats, and I'm still not a great C++ developer :-)

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Peter was one of a kind. I heard about ML/I when I was a first year undergraduate, but no one really seemed to know what it did. So I went and asked him. He gave me a pile of documents including part of his thesis, and I never looked back!

His books always had something in them that poked fun at Heather...I'm sure she got her own back. The first book was describing the facilities in the IBM macro assembler...

"this is utilitarian rather than beautiful"

("rather the girl you marry, not the one you dream about")

Reply to
Bob Eager

Well, as Bob said it was my son who went to UKC, not me,but the rest of that fits pretty well.

Learning about Android from the inside now.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Indeed, it was my system of choice for many years before having to give in a go the way of the wintel pc...

In the early days there were still vestiges of the BCPL ancestry in some of the type definitions used when talking to AmigaDOS (the bit of the system of tripos extraction). Most development being either C or 68K assembler in those days, there were wrapper libraries to tidy up the interfacing. They rewrote it in C after the first release though.

I still miss the joy of Amiga file handling and file system support, way ahead of dos and windows, and preferable to the *nix way in many respects.

Reply to
John Rumm

Should have also added; The Atari 800 was an early 8 bit micro, produced many years before the 16/32 bit Amiga or Atari ST range came about. Although coincidently the chipset designer (Jay Miner) was the same chap for both.

Reply to
John Rumm