OT: Office chair recommendations

Looking to replace my current office chair with something more comfortable seeing as I seem to spend so much time sat on it. Current one is plastic and rather uncomfortable after a few hours.

Anyone got any good recommendations?

I wouldn't mind spending up to £100, I want something decent that will last.

I've been looking at this one:

Thoughts anyone? :)

Reply to
gremlin_95

Ikea Markus. A little bit over - £125 - but I had one for about two-three years in the office, 8hrs/day most days - and it was good as new.

I'd had a cheaper Ikea (non-"Work-rated") one for about a year, but it turned out to have plastic thrust washers in the swivel, and they just collapsed. My business partner had a much more expensive one from an office supplier - it was nowhere near as comfortable, and was starting to get knackered after the same period of time.

Reply to
Adrian

Nominell from Ikea is good

Murmansk

In message , gremlin_95 writes

Do you have any general auctions around your way? I picked up 2 decent office chairs, vaguely similar to the one that you linked to for about £50:00 in all but new condition.

A lot of the lots that we get through our local auction are from liquidations, so some of the furniture is frequently as new.

Reply to
Bill

Dont buy a chair from a picture. They all look lovely. Go to your nearest office supplier shop and try some out for yourself. Everyone is different. What I think is lovely could be a literal P,I.T.A. to you.

Check the weight of the chair. A good chair will be heavier than some piece of Chinese crap. Good components are heavy and expensive. There is a reason why an Aeron chair

is so expensive. I.M.E. they are very adaptable, very comfortable. They are seviceable and parts are easily available for them which means you dont throw them away when something breaks.

You don't have to spend that much on a good chair. I can vouch for these people

ask for a dealer in your area. Their range is extensive and prices reasonable.

If you use your chair 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, you owe it to yourself to get something decent. Something made up to a standard not down to a price.

Reply to
fred

An old GF bought an office chair from JL in '97; by '99 it was getting ricketty - not good for £150! Paid the same at Ikea and is still using it today.

Be aware that the arms are extra. ISTR that the castors are extra also. BTW, do the Ikea castors still lock up when laden? My old GF was rather upset at this as she didn't have the strength to raise her weight on her legs only.

Reply to
PeterC

Opps - just noticed that they lock when unlade - I'm sure hers did the opposite back then.

Reply to
PeterC

+1

I'm sitting on one now. I've had it for a couple of years and spent a lot of time (probably more than I should) on it. It's comfortable and not showing any wear.

You have to see them, turn them over and look at the standard of construction, especially noting how the seat is connected to the adjusting mechanism. Some of the more expensive "looking" chairs are constructed from bent tin foil with 4 short self tapping screws holding the seat on! Some are constructed with a few spot welds holding the pieces together - the welds will crack if you misuse the chair by sitting on it.

Once you have turned over a few seats to discover the construction method you will immediately know which are better.

Reply to
alan

Fake leather AKA plastic and what appears to be a plastic base. Go and look at what your local Staples has instead.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Yuk, plastic is sweaty, real leather less so. I prefer fabric.

Agreed this really is something you need to go and kick the tyres on, examine the construction, sit on, check the adjustments etc. So a visit to an office furniture suppliers (or Ikea) is called for.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Many thanks for all of your replies, I have a Staples local to me so I will be visiting them as soon as I'm free.

Reply to
gremlin_95

In article , Adrian writes

Not bought yet but I'm looking at the Ikea Viglot:

Tried all of the models in-store and it felt good, didn't want a high back so passed on the Markus.

70quid with arms, 55 without.
Reply to
fred

Don't overlook places like PCWorld during sales. Often they have stores close to Staples outlets.

Reply to
alan

Could not agree more, it is as important as having a really good bed and comfortable chair for relaxing in.

If you are going to look at auctions watch out for Therapod 5250 operators chairs. They have a simple but excellent variable back system (series of adjustable horizontal straps inside the back) that make them incredibly comfortable even after hours of sitting. My employers used to specify them for people with iffy backs and I managed to pick up a contract version (less the shiny base) new for what I considered to be an acceptable price seven years ago and I have never regretted it.

Reply to
rbel

At work we have chairs with castors in the labs. Elfinsafety decided after a few years that being able to wizz over the smooth floor was unsafe so they fitted one locking castor to each chair. The lock was activated by the weight of someone sitting on the chair. Unfortunately they neglected to inform everyone of the policy. The first time a few people pushed off to travel from one end of a bench to another the chair fell over and they ended up on the floor. This is something that never happened in the years of use on the unsafe chairs.

Currently the staff modified chairs have no locking castors (apart from the donor chairs that have all 5 castors of the locking variety)

Reply to
alan

They used to have two "grades" of office chair - one for domestic use, one for work use. Check that's the latter, because there's a VERY big quality difference. The price suggests the former.

Reply to
Adrian

The first time I ever sat on a mesh bottomed cair I was amazed by the difference. It is what I would buy if I wanted a replacement.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

What you want, although you might not know it yet, is a Herman Miller Aeron chair. They cost many coins but they last forever and your arse and your b ack will thank you.

I cannot currently afford one, so have an IKEA Marcus. Sturdy (I'm not smal l) and comfy. It is a high back chair though, but I think they do similar m odels with low backs if you prefer. But trust me, you want to save up and g et an Aeron. Oh boy oh boy...

Reply to
pastedavid

Many coins indeed! I think a little bit of me died inside when I seen the price...

Reply to
gremlin_95