OT: no go areas

The thing is that this could be seen as some sort of discrimination. I broached the case of town centres with poorly designed shared spaces where cars people and bikes shared the whole space with a company making gps for the blind and they said they would like to warn blind users about the dangers, but there were legal issues to it. I find this hard to believe myself. its probably more true to suggest that as no go areas, for whatever reason are often very changeable considerable research on a frequent basis would be needed to keep them up to date, and as I mooted above, what is no go depends very much on who you are and why the area is no go. Its better perhaps to allow users to input their own?

After all if you know an area has pitch battles of drunks at late night drinking holes, or you know during the school run times the traffic on certain roads is impossible I see no reason why this should not be entered and the sat nav could then avoid such places at such times. Local knowledge is often better than something entered by a company on national databases which could get that company sued by, say local businesses disputing what they put. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Apparently when automatic level crossings first came in, about 50yrs ago, the signs stated 'do not cross tracks while lights are flashing'

Never quite sure whether this is an urban myth, or it took a couple of crashes for them to realise the problem...

James

Reply to
James Heaton

Proves you are a tight Yorkshire man, most businesses would get their own lockup.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

and that's without fixing the gap between the new and old inside lanes on the M1 between Derby and Sheffield, in both directions.

Reply to
Martin

The one that really annoys me - found muchly in the East Midlands - is

'Right turners wait for second signal'

Many years ago I saw a sign in the North East that said

'Please drive carefully' (in roadworks)

followed about 30yds ahead by another sign

'Gan Canny'

Oh, and I would suggest there is nowhere that the roads are in a worse state than in Sheffield. Try Button Hill for example - I doubt it has been resurfaced (just very poorly 'mended') in at least two decades!

Reply to
Woody

The bit near Morrisons that was voted the worst road in Sheffield has been resurfaced. Unfortunately the sections immediately before and after the resurfaced part are almost as bad as the worst part was before.

Reply to
Martin

Duncanson

'while' can

dressed".

That's because the waiting is contemporaneous with the dressing and implies inaction.

Reply to
Max Demian

Silly bugger

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Couldn't they just say 'whilst'?

Reply to
Max Demian

Is that like "Gentlemen raise the seat"?

Reply to
Max Demian

Give details of everyone in the household broken down by age and sex.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I was. They made a man of me.

By the way I was present when a guy who was trying to put up some shelves in Phlebotomy at a certain hospital drilled into the main oxygen riser. There was a great roar like a jet plane and clou8ds of condensation. Everyone ran off the job. We crept cautiously back and tried to plug the hole. Estates couldn't turn the main valve and they had to send for British oxygen.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

A couple of years ago down here in Wool, Dorset, there was a flash and a bang followed by a plume of smoke at the railway station.

A car had been driven up the (electrified third rail) track with unsurprising results. Fortunately driver and passenger escaped uninjured.

The local paper reported that the elderly driver has followed the instruction on his satnav to turn left at the level crossing.

Reply to
Chris Youlden

I'll raise you by knocking out the socket circuits in the emergency operating theatre at Doncaster Royal Infirmary:-).

Reply to
ARW

I put a trunking lid back in RHH once and there was a bang and some smoke, and a machine that was making somebody breathe started to beep. I went in the room and unplugged it from the red socket and put it in the TV one. Guy was grateful.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Drivel. The oxygen has absolutely no water in it so there could be no condensation. There would be isolating valves on ever floor and every building. Oxygen pipes are not buried to prevent such events, where they need to be hidden, they are in surface mounted trunking.

Reply to
harry

The expansion would cause cooling of the atmos into which the oxygen expands. Hence the condensation.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Theoretically possible, actually. The oxygen is under pressure. It expands, and that cools it. That could possibly lead to some condensation of moisture in the atmosphere.

However, it may well be drivel, as you say.

Reply to
GB

Definitely would.

Same principle as a refrigerator.

Or a can of freeze spray.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The oxygen is dried before storage, be it cylinders or a VIE. To stop cylinders rusting and to prevent ice crystal formation in the VIE.

Reply to
harry