OT New French breathalyser law

Well it would serve no purpose to you as you sit at the back of the bus licking the windows on your journeys.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Do this mob have legal authority, or just send threatening letters?

looks like the next stage from 2013, but the UK appears to have opted-out

Reply to
Andy Burns

Haven't followed rugby for a long time so had to look up a match report.

Looks like a good match and 23-17 isn't really a shameful score for the losers. Can't say I'm a partisan, if I was watching it, I'd enjoy a well played game whatever the result. Worries about a small country's national sporting achievements passed long ago :-).

Reply to
fred

Don't forget the metal detector.

Reply to
Martin

>>> We already carry two warning triangles, two luminous vests, a fire

and before the yanks went home.

Reply to
Martin

>>> We already carry two warning triangles, two luminous vests, a fire

and a bar of soap for the village bike.

Reply to
Martin

Does that mean that those of us who have foreign plates can carry on binning parking tickets?

This made me smile

"Framework decision 2005/214/JHA, on the mutual recognition of financial penalties, permits the enforcement of fines above ?70. But many Member States have not yet fully transposed this decision into their national laws and the administrative mechanism that it introduces has not proven able to deal with large numbers of road traffic offences."

Reply to
Martin

" But many Member States have not yet fully transposed this decision into their national laws and the administrative mechanism that it introduces has not proven able to deal with large numbers of road traffic offences.|"

So, not really

Reply to
geoff

That's the paragraph explaining why the 2005 attempt needed replacing by the 2011 version ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

We do - The Criminal Justice and Immigration Bill brings into force an EU Directive for recovering fines resulting from criminal activities across EU borders. I've no idea if it really works in the case of Brits traveling abroad. A lot hinges on the fines being for criminal activities, so it can't be used to recover things like UK parking fines, which are civil fines, not criminal.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

That doesn't sound very helpful, but is the way maintenance seems to be going these days.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Hmph. I (an Englishman) remember holidaying in France many years ago and visiting the baker with a view to the acquisition of some breakfast. Behind the counter were racks upon racks of freshly-baked baguettes. "Un baguette, s'il vous plait!" I said, in my best schoolboy French, when my turn came.

"Huh?" Much Gallic shrugging and furrowing of brows ensued. "Un baguette, s'il vous plait!"

Zilch. I mean, I'm sure my accent isn't the best, but come on, how bad can it be?

My new friend consulted her colleague at the counter, and the shrugs just doubled. Mystified, I pointed at the shelves behind her, and repeated my request again.

"Ah - vous voulais UNE baguette!" and realisation apparently finally dawned, as she handed one over. FFS. Excuse me for forgetting that your bread is female.

Symptomatic of why France is not my destination of choice for holidays.

David

Reply to
Lobster

It was mentioned in the Sunday Times 26 Feb (online article will be behind a paywall though). Apparently the penalty for non-compliance is an on-the-spot fine of 9 quid so it's not a disaster...

David

Reply to
Lobster

> We already carry two warning triangles, two luminous vests, a fire

Just occured to me that there must be a market for dummy devices. I mean, they can't make you blow into the device because then you don't have a working breathalyser. This based on the possibly unwarranted assumption that a £2 device is one shot. Pot of glue and some sticky backed plastic, anyone? Damn, I think I just went on topic.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

The headlights use dangerously high voltages and everything else uses LEDs, which not only have a much longer life expectancy, they also have multiple redundancy.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I've seen these triangles put out like that over here, useless. Personally I can't see any point in them at all unless placed before a corner or other obstruction that is blocking the view of approaching traffic but I've never seen that they are normally just

10' away...
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On 26/02/2012 21:37, fred wrote: ...

Many years ago, I was not allowed to pay for anything in a bar in a remote area of France because I am English. I may not have taken part in the liberation of France, but they were not going to stop that from allowing them to express their appreciation of it happening.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

>>> We already carry two warning triangles, two luminous vests, a fire

:)

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

But then you get drunk drivers asking passers-by to blow into their steering wheel to start their car for them.

"And that is why the lady whom I now know to be named Sexy Susie was leaning in through the driver's window and panting heavily, my lord."

Owain

Reply to
Owain

>>> We already carry two warning triangles, two luminous vests, a fire

Nice food and a sunny climate?

Reply to
Martin