OT: more eco home problems

until it builds up over the outlet tap which being approximately at the bottom (for other logical reasons) won't take long ;>)))

mmm perhaps some but my water co. freebie butt is still in great shape & function after er 8years of full sun and no frost protection...in fact no maintenance at all..

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

but that's "eating off" your roof not drinking rain...

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Same here. Also 8 years against a south facing wall without a hint of shade. I'd say you get what you pay for ... but it was free. You get what your water company pays for? Blackwall, IIRC.

Oh, actually the tap fell apart from UV damage but £1.50 later it had a nice new one with hoselock connection.

Alex

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison

Your water co must supply better ones than come from B+Q! About 3 years and then cracked. Bodged together with hot iron but very vulnerable. I might try again when the sheds re-stock in the spring. Veolia, our water Co, have not offered anything. Presumably because we have plenty of water in the SE!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I'm in the SE. They were buy Blackwall who seem to have rebranded as evengreener. They appear to still make the same model:

>Oh, actually the tap fell apart from UV damage but £1.50 later it had a

And, if I'm squinting at the picture correctly, it looks like they now come with a different tap.

Alex

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison

windmill and an air source heat pump so his electric is free. He even gets a small rebate for feeding excess electric into the grid. Swears by it. Though I take 90% of the claims made by people with both ground and air sourced heat pumps, with a large pinch of salt. They tend to get quiet when you ask them the size and kw/hr usage of their heat pump and none are happy to discuss maintenance costs. Only ever met one honest person and when we did the sums he was marginally better off with his ground source heat pump but claimed benefits would accrue with the price of oil on perpetual increase. But then price of electric is linked to price of oil so that was a bit specious.

This one cost something like £350, 8 years ago. (It was on special offer from B&Q, normal price was £200 more.) It draws 1.2kW and claims to pump 3.5 kW, which I can believe. It's actually too powerful for heating the room and runs on only a short duty cycle. I originally bought it for cooling (for which it's correctly sized), but it gets used for cooling perhaps 5 days/year, and for heating for about 100 days/year.

No maintenance costs as yet, but I would expect it will need a refill with refrigerant at some point, which is apparently about £100.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , Tim Lamb writes

Mine is still going strong. I've been here for 12 years, and the water butt was far from new when I moved in. It gets the sun from ~1100 onwards.

I do drain it off for the winter (which may help). Fed via a diverter, originally it was fed directly from the drain pipe with no overflow pipe.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

All this rain water stuff is cr@p. If you use it for anything other than the bog you need to treat it. I can't see how having thousands of mini treatment "plants" can be as good as a proper industrial one. About the only thing it does is save on building more reservoirs as you get the customers to do it for you. Its not as though there is actually a water shortage in most of the UK.

Reply to
dennis