(OT) Mobile Phone Screen Protectors

My grandson's phone has a plastic film screen protector that had lots of air bubbles under it. I tried to improve it but eneded up making it "unsticky". I want to replace it but note on EBay that they sell "Tempered Glass" film protectors. Are they really glass - or is it falsely described? If it is glass, then does it mess with the touch screen? I really just want a normal clear plastic protector - unless you convince me otherwise.

Any ideas (the phone is a Samsung S3)

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I thought you were meant to apply a film of soapy water to the screen and protector, then squeegee it down with e.g. a credit card to avoid bubbles?

I never use them, but it seems glass ones do exist as well as plastic.

Reply to
Andy Burns

They are normally a one (or two) shot deal and take a bit of practice / technique.

The ones we use seem to be real glass.

Doesn't seem to but it's possible that it does but not enough to not to use one.

Daughter carries two phone and both with the glass protectors. She has replaced them a couple of times when the protector has got broken when the screen underneath was still ok. She didn't really get the protectors for that but more to protect against scratches from keys etc.

I had an S2 and have an S4 and neither had screen protection because I carry them in a horizontal pouch (Krusell / leather) on my belt and put the screen inwards.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

According to the specs, it has Corning Gorilla glass 2 which I'm guessing is a grade up from what I have on my iPhone 5S (just plain Gorilla glass).

If this is the case I would say don't bother. It's very scratch resistant and needs little looking after.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

For my phone I bought a (quite thick) film in Poundland (sold as suitable for some ipad or other). Cut it to the size I needed (using a guillotine not scissors) and it has been perfect for the 12 months or so that it has been fitted.

Reply to
Chris B

They are very thin glass and it they seem to work without any loss of touch sensitivity.

It can still be difficult to get the air bubbles from under the glass protector. As with the plastic protectors you have to align it carefully and then get rid of the air bubbles - I use the edge of a credit card to flatten the protector.

If the phone has become slightly distorted (twisted/bent as a result of keeping it in a pocket) the screen may not be truly flat and fitting of a glass protector, that has limited flexibility, without air bubbles may not be possible. I have an area of around 8mm x 20mm in the bottom corner of my glass protector that refuses to make permanent contact with the screen.

In my experience when buying cheap screen protectors on Ebay is that they come in packs of 5 so if you mess up with one you then have 4 spares.

Reply to
alan_m

I've long kept mobile phones alongside keys in front jeans pockets without screen protectors and no scratches.

What does work (particularly with iPhones) is side bumpers, as the glass edge readily shatters when dropped.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

I used a plastic one for the first time and it has bubbles under. Doesn't seem to stop it working.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I've used both plastic and glass protectors, I find the glass ones much easier to apply, as the glass cant bubble. One difference is that on last couple of phones I applied the glass protectors when new, maybe more difficult with more wear and tear

Reply to
Martin Warby

En el artículo , Adrian Caspersz escribió:

+1. Thrown my iPhraud5 at the wall a few times in frustration and it's survived. Unfortunately.
Reply to
Mike Tomlinson