OT Mechanic tosspot

Just noticed that on my bill from the garage that I was charged for adjusting the washer jets on my van when it had a few repairs done after it's MOT failure.

Call me old fashioned but I preferred them when they were adjusted so that the screenwash actually hit the windscreen and did not go over the roof. And the reason that one of them was aimed low was so that when I used them the wiper spread the screenwash all over the screen ensuring a clean windscreen.

Reply to
ARW

My garage is very good, but he is not cheap. For the past two years he has charged me a quid for topping up the washer bottle even though it was full. I think he charges for this out of habit. He won't do it this service; I will mention it.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

If you were not given the option of having the work done or not, then you shouldn't have to pay for it. Reinforce that fact by asking them to put them back the way they were. Unless they can prove that they way they were was a violation of the MOT, in which case it should have been on the 'Reasons for Failure' list.

Reply to
Davey

Still, that garage is better than the one a few years ago that charged me for replacing the NS fog lamp and OS reversing light bulbs on my Berlingo. I complained and they refunded me the cost of the MOT and the cost of fitting the non existant bulbs.

Reply to
ARW

It was not on the failure sheet. The failures were a ball joint and an insecure spare wheel. It was not on the advisory list.

Reply to
ARW

In message , Mr Pounder writes

An insurance repair place tried to charge for re-gassing the aircon when it wasn't fitted.

I think the office just use standard charges for your particular vehicle.

Ours was a Ford Focus where aircon was an option. I am still waiting to need the one fitted to our Fiesta:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

His wife does the billing in longhand.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

In message , Mr Pounder writes

20 years ago a cow-orker was complaining that her service bill included topping up to screen washers, even though they were full when the car went in. The excuse was that they had to test the washers, so had to refill them.

He picked the wrong person to pull that one on, as she no doubt explained in her usual inimitable style.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

In that case, he should not have done it without asking you first. Using that basis, he could do an engine change, and then charge you for it.

Reply to
Davey

Yes, I think they fail to take into account airfolw if the vehicle is moving. I've often been sprayed with wash when walking along on the footway, so god knows where some jets are aimed.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Put a lockable cap on it next time!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Love it.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

At cyclists?

Reply to
Bob Eager

I've had that one pulled on me, too. I bitched and they refunded that part of the bill.

Reply to
Huge