OT: Mathematical Conundrum II

Stupid boy :-)

Reply to
Jim_S

I first read that in a book belonging to my Father, at least 50 years ago. I can still 'see' the book - Riddles in Mathematics. Back then, the question was in shillings, not pounds. Took me a *long* time to work it out :-)

Reply to
News

This one:-

hardcover £4, kindle edition £10.27 Now that is a conundrum. :)

Reply to
Albert Zweistein

Where did you get 5d from?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Change when using a tanner to buy four farthing chews? :-)

Reply to
polygonum

Half of 10 pence. You do know what pence are? There were 240 of them to a pound, 12 to a shilling. £sd.

Reply to
dennis

And the pennies we have today are NOT abbreviated to "d".

Reply to
polygonum

Did you use to read Martin Garner's puzzles in Scientific American?

I remember reading his column about non-periodic tiling. Maybe I should have asked our tiler for a non-periodic design when he was tiling our new bathroom. :-)

Reply to
pamela

It's one answer.

But pence are new money too, so the answer can also be 105 pence and 5 pence.

Reply to
Bob Eager

And there are 100 pence to the pund these days.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Well done that man! Actually, my Father's edition was paperback, and I can see it as blue. Exactly like this, in fact :

A bargain at £2.99 :-)

Reply to
News

Sadly not. Maths was never my strong suite. Even today, I prefer crosswords and have never been attracted to Sudoku.

But would non periodic tiling create less dust? :-)

Reply to
News

News scribbled

This still doing the rounds?

Classic redirection. £2 is part of charge, £1 x3 is the change.

Reply to
Jonno

Sorry sir, we don't sell them separately. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

But who uses shillings any more? I particularly do not like non real world questions. You could invent a currency based on lumps of coal for that mater. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Horses are still sold in guineas (21 shillings) are they not?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

The quickest way is to look and see 42 - although I can often do that sort of thing, I sometimes take an age to check it as the answer seems to obscure the method and, like Albert, then need the iterative process and forget where I've got to. Sometimes I give a very rapid answer, others are impressed, I'm then not sure so, as mentioned earlier, keep a straight face and hope!

Reply to
PeterC

Or, as in Morrisons, brush 99p and handle 99p - how much for the two? At the till: 99p. I queried it and it was correct. Seems that the answer isn't arithmetical after all.

Reply to
PeterC

Sometimes thinking gets in the way of getting the right answer. When I'm doing the Saturday Times killer Sudoku I often have to add together lots of numbers. If I do it fast the answers often just pop into my head. If I slow down and think about it, I have to slow down a lot to achieve the same accuracy.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

True, except that the guinea is specified as £1.05 rather than 21 shillings these days.

Reply to
NY