OT Keystroke logger

Can anyone recommend a free keystroke logger out of the many available that I can use to find out who and when (that will be my lodger, her boyfriend or her mates whilst I am at work) is using my computer.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Can't you lock the computer? (or would that be less fun :))

alex

Reply to
Alex

Tinykl. It's tiny, as you'd expect, and works extremely well. Oh, and it's free.

Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

I could easily lock the computer (or the door to the computer room). The lodger says no one has used it when I asked her. She has her own laptop and a free internet connection that I have supplied into her room. I want to know what she is looking for or doing on my computer. It contains many personal and private things.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I will have a look at it.

Cheers

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Put a password into the BIOS.

Its still possible to work around, but a whole lot harder to crack than a windows password - and it`ll also prevent them from using something like Knoppix.

Most BIOSs can still be hacked fairly easily, but if the machine isn`t already in a booted-up state, I think it pretty much knackers them.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

chance it isn`t I suppose, but all keyloggers are classed as malware these days.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Nah, you want to catch people out rather than prevent access in the first place - much more fun :)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

I suppose it would be classed as such but I've been using it for yonks with no ill effects. It doesn't seem to bother AVG or Norton.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

I agree. Much more fun.

The computer is never turned off and I use Avast. Any other suggestions? I suspect that she is probably just looking around the computer at my photos and letters and not using the internet but I would like to know.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

keylogger, webcam and some sort of 'net nanny' combined.

Reply to
news

In message , news writes

I was just about to suggest something similar. Have you Internet access at work? If so how about a web cam permanently running in the back ground. Then you could watch and maybe phone them while they are at it and see their reaction.

Reply to
Bill

Yes with a bit of luck they'll exchange some highly personal information. Print it out and hand it to them one morning! :-)

Mr F.

Reply to
Mr Fizzion

Blazingtools Perfect Keylogger seems to be pretty good, but it's detected by some anti-spyware software so you may not be able to use it if you have this running in the background.

Reply to
Rob Morley

If someone is just point&clicking then nothing will show up in the log - I like the webcam idea.

Reply to
Rob Morley

That's the idea! :)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

No internet at work (site work or rewires etc) but could I send webcam pictures to a friend who is at home in the daytime and on broadband?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

i know its not free...but its cheap. try invisible keyloger.

can send its logs invisibly to an email address if wanted. it also takes screenshots and emails em to you. ive had it for a couple of years. its a good program.

steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

Why not just use motion sensor software to control and record?

Reply to
Rob Morley

You did not say which OS. If its Win2K or XP (or a real OS ;-) then you could have some fun with file and user permissions and file access logs (requires NTFS formatted volumes).

You could create a user account which is logged on by default when you are not there, and have it generate events into the event logger when files are accessed etc. That way you would be able to say what files were accessed and when, without laying yourself open to charges of "snooping".

Reply to
John Rumm