OT: ISP reccomendations

Anyone offer personal recommendation of ADSL supplier. Ideally. 2MB unlimited (which _should_ be available in our area (No cable suppliers)

Quick scan seems Tiscali seem to do a good price, ADSL2 doubtful as we're miles away from an exchange. :¬(

all advice welcome. Cheers Pete

Reply to
PeTe33

We're using MetroNet

paying for just the service - we bought the modem and we already use EasySpace for domain hosting. No problems since February, and working out cheaper than dial-up. Al.

Reply to
Al, Cambridge, UK

Look Here :-

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

In article , Pet @

;¬) writes

Please take it to uk.telecom.broadband, where you will probably be advised to go to

, the forums there will give you a far greater depth of experience than here.

Reply to
fred

Don't sign up with 'Bulldog' as I'm led to believe their support is atrocious.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I'm very pleased with Pipex. Not had any problems since I've had it for a couple of years. Other beauty - if that matters - is that it can be conformed to work with any OS.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

AVOID Tiscali...

Reply to
Fred

Read the small print. Some offer free modem and connection but this only happens if you stay with them for 5 years. Leave after 1 year and you owe them 4/5ths of the cost.

Others only allow you to leave by ringing an 0845 number i.e not by post, e-mail or by a button on a website. Will they ever answer the phone? I think Tiscali are like this.

Others just ignore you when you wish to leave and then complain and threaten you when you cancel the direct debit. Tesco did this to me.

I could go on.

I bought my own modem (£15) and paid for connection (£50 - £60) and signed up with freedom2surf (now part of Pipex). Very pleased.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Why?

Reply to
Dave Jones

No problems with TalkTalk. Easy sign up, easy set up, good service, very helpful customer service when we did have a problem (turned out to be our fault).

We're on 1Mbit + free evening and weekend phone calls (so we now have virtuall zero phone bill) for =A315/month but I believe it's now =A320. They rang recently offering 2Meg for =A322.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

They've also been featured on BBCs Watchdog program.

Reply to
Alan

In message , "Al, Cambridge, UK" writes

well.

Reply to
chris French

I'd second the recommendation for metronet.

I'm on metronet paygo dsl. If I don't use the internet for a while I pay a far lower charge than if I hammer it.

For me, it works out about the same price as my old dialup account but I have the benefit of being able to use the phone.

sponix

Reply to
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

"Pet @

;¬)" wrote in news:FRMaf.842$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

I've found Plusnet very good. (And if you let me recommend you they bung me!)

mike

Reply to
mike ring

I've no great experience of this but have been using Wizards for 2.5 years.

only service. Has been rock solid since day one. Perhaps aimed more at business than personal use, not the cheapest but excellent service. Real people who know what they are doing and landline (01..........) contact numbers. I have no other relationship with Wizards and would highly recommend them. HTH Ray

Reply to
Ray

If you want to be able to send mail reliably, you need to avoid at least the following:

Tiscali Wanadoo (Freeserve) NTL (Telewest) BT Openworld

These companies have extensive listings in the

We block all and more of the above on sight.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

For every ISP, you will find some people who think it's the bees knees, and others who think it sucketh copiously.

Reply to
Huge

Very true.

Check out the review section on

for a balanced view on what each ISP is like.

sponix

Reply to
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

In message , "Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)" wrote

What is blocked? With ASDL you have a fixed IP address (as least as long as you are connected).

If it's individual IPs that are blocked then it will be the small number of customers that are abusing the system that are blocked.

If it's a whole ISP that is blocked then the organisation that publishing the blocked the IP range doesn't actually understand how the Net works and you shouldn't take any notice about what they say.

AOL have a habit of blocking the main ISPs IP ranges meaning their customers cannot communicate with anyone else on the Net via email.

Reply to
Alan

Also on Metronet, excellent service and tech support who KNOW what they are talking about. Plus they use and support Linux which was a another tick from my viewpoint.

Dave

Reply to
dave stanton